Re: AirSpy You Loop Passive Magnetic Loop antenna ? #airspydiscovery

jdow

I believe the ARRL handbook is a good beginner's way to come up to speed. I'd recommend it in your case. The pattern is, as has been noted, a figure 8 with the nulls in the plane of the loop. Looking on the AirSpy website should give you more details about the loop and it's construction and at least rough specifications.

{^_^}

On 20200322 04:13:34, rmrrgs wrote:
Hi Folks.
Saw a brief writeup on the YouLoop Passive Magnetic Loop Antenna that
recently became available. Cheap enough at only bout $ 30.
Am very weak on antenna theory, so let me please ask you experts out there.
I do only receiving, up to about 30 MHz.  No transmitting.
Presently use a 30 foot simple long wire outside.
Leaves a lot to be desired.
Due to space restrictions, would be hard to make longer.
a. Might anyone offer any opinions as to whether this antenna might be worth trying ?
b. What is the diameter of the loop ?
c. Is it "directional", in that I would always have to orient it to the station location I want to receive ?
    If so, Is it "very" directional ?
         Most sensitive in the plane of the loop, or at 90 degrees to it ?
Would appreciate any thoughts on.
Pros and cons, limitations, etc.
Thanks,
Bob