Airpspy HF+ support for OpenWebrRX #raspberrypi

Alberto I2PHD

On 2019-12-22 23:16, jdow wrote:

Alberto, it is easy enough to enable the Administrator account on Win 10. I
don't do that for several reasons. As long as punching OK in a UAC popup allows
me to do what I feel I need to do I am happy for the extra "are you sure"
prompt. It's a royal pain to rebuild a large system such as I have. On the Linux
machine it would be a different level and flavor of pain to rebuild it. Backups
help. The point is that you can do what you are yammering about.

Joanne, talking of Windows, I *always* run as administrator. And have completely disabled the UAC...
Those paranoid questions "are you sure ?" do really disturb me.
For the records, I am on Internet since when the acronym WWW had not meaning (yet)....
And still have to catch my first virus... of course I keep regular backups, but I have had to resort to
them only in a few cases of hard disk failures.

I have three towers, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10.
All three with dual boot with Ubuntu (the Win 7 machine) and Debian (the other two).
When working with Windows, I operate *exclusively* from the GUI. Last time I started a command line
session was so far in the past that I do not remember anymore.  Oh, BTW, when need be, I manually
edit the registry... never had problems...

I would like to be able to do the same also when working under Linux... working *exclusively* from the
GUI, but it looks like I will have to switch to Linux Mint which permits a root login without paranoid warnings.

 > sudo su -l
# startx

Well, I tried that. The output is copied below.... apparently it starts a new desktop session, but that
is just smoke in the eyes... that "new" GUI session does not have root privileges... if you try to save
a file in, let's say, the /bin folder, it asks you a password. And there is no way you can delete a file
in that folder using the GUI... the option is simply not there...

But I do realize that this is becoming an academic discussion, which will surely annoy the other
readers. So let's put an end to it, there are surely much more important things in the life than discussing
about the distorted mentality of some (not all, just some) Linux developers...

=================== copied output from the terminal session after startx ===================

adb@debian:~$ su -l
Password:
root@debian:~# startx
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.20.4
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux debian 4.19.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (2019-11-11) x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-6-amd64 root=UUID=eb5cadf6-309b-4162-81ac-1c6591193804 ro quiet splash resume=UUID=7738a44e-92a5-4d92-be6d-73138d21268a
Build Date: 05 March 2019  08:11:12PM
xorg-server 2:1.20.4-1 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.36.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Mon Dec 23 00:12:12 2019
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

73 Alberto I2PHD
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>