Re: Transmission lines, Input match and Connectors #bestpractice #experiment

jdow

Um, tell that to HP.

BNC barrel attenuators are good probably to 20 dB. I have lower attenuation units - 3 dB and 6 dB sort of things. (At HF I like to use them because they provide a nice leakage path to deal with static build up issues.)

{o.o}

On 20191019 13:02:42, doug wrote:
On 10/18/2019 08:30 PM, jdow wrote:
My recent splurge was an 8664A synthesizer. A well calibrated 0dB to 40
dB would get me down easily as far as I need to go. (It would nominally
make -180 dBm.) But, they'd have to be good attenuators. In the mean
time I probably should get something from EBay that is "good" and
nominally calibrated. It would be good to have around here. I do have
some BNC coaxial attenuators I can use. I have to dig them out. It's an
archeological expedition time.

{^_^}
Hi, Joanne--
Surely you of all people know that BNC attenuators are not very good attenuators at any VHF or higher frequency. Fine for HF, unless you need
a lot of attenuation.
--doug, WA2SAY