Re: Transmission lines, Input match and Connectors #bestpractice #experiment

David Eckhardt

Most of the newer professional signal generators bottom out at -130 dBm.  The 608s were microphonic as the dickens and drifted like crazy.  They were the best we had at the time.  I use good (HP) attenuators if I require levels less than -130 dBm.  Professional grade Attenuators are necessary and required equipment for any RF lab.  I really do not understand the bias against using them other than adding another error bar to a measurement where they are used.

Dave - WØLEV

Dave - WØLEV

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 11:22 PM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
Si. Of course, if I did not mind a lot of up front attenuation a waveguide
beyond cutoff attenuator as in the venerable HP-608 series would be REALLY
interesting. They work surprisingly well. (I still own a 608F. It's fun when you
develop a transceiver that you can feed a -109 dBm signal and not be able to jam
it with the 608F fed through a 20 dB coupler. That's more than 1mW of jammer at
the radio input. I reversed the coupler and made the transceiver collapse when
the input got high enough to cause gain compression. Hedy Lamar had a really
good idea. It works.)

{^_-}

--
Dave - WØLEV