Re: Airspy Mini & HF+ drivers not found by Windows 7 SP1 #sdrsharp #airspyhfplus #driver

D R

Ian - if you want to go below MW with the HF+ (especially if it's one of the earlier production units), then you need to short out the capacitor marked R3 inside the case.  This will transform its performance at LW and VLF with no ill effect on MW.  MSF on 60kHz is currently S9+31 and DCF on 77.5kHz is S9+17 here in Yorkshire, using a Wellbrook loop not particularly aimed at either.  Since you mention them I assume you are in the UK, so you should also get similar reception of them in much of the country.

Regards,
Dave

On Monday, 15 April 2019, 21:37:13 GMT+1, Ian Brooks <ian.brooks4073@...> wrote:

On 15/04/2019 17:16, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Well, for a start the Wiki does not refer to the Airspy products.

I was referring to the old, original Wiki, pre Airspy products.
There is also one attached to this group https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home which might be used by anyone who is not confused about what they describe.

I am further confused by this https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/wiki/ExtIO-dll-for-Airspy-radios it does refer to using Zadig. This I do not understand. Zadig has nothing to do with ExtIOs, does it install a driver that works with Airspys? Which one is it?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Your first e-mail disappeared. I thought it might have been due to my grandson sending me photos of his maths homework worksheets. He's got an expensive iPhone with a good camera, so lots of pixels and big files. It froze my wife's Netflix connection, so naturally I'm to blame!

I'm glad you've found the Wiki that is within this group's web pages. My basic problem was that I couldn't get Win 7 to recognise the device. I had this problem with my previous version of Win 7 and my Airspy Mini. As that version had been a "rolled-back" installation performed from Windows 10 after I abandoned the upgrade after a few months ( due to too many updates and slow performance) I was a little suspicious of it. I decided to reinstall Win 7 from a Win 7 SP1 disc, to avoid shedloads of updates if I had used my original disc, which dated from the first days of Win 7.

It should have been straightforward "plug and play" but it still wouldn't recognise the Mini. The Windows Compatibility driver was not accepted (This reminded me of problems with Win95 and 98). I had thought at the time that the combination of Airspy & SDR# relied on plug and play, so I thought of alternative Windows programs. This required installation of ExtIO, which still needed Win 7 to recognise the device. This is when I read the Wiki at https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/wiki/ExtIO-dll-for-Airspy-radios. I tried it with Sodira 099 and some other SDR programs and, once the device had been recognised after using Zadig,  I tried SDR# again by copying the ExtIO into the SDRsharp folder. A little to my surprise it worked. With the HF+ Win7 originally recognised it as AIRSPY HF+ but Device Manager indicated no driver found. I followed the same procedure as with the Mini and  apart from AIRSPY HF+ becoming a WinUSB device, everything worked OK. The writer of the Wiki does not say whether he tried the Compatibilty Driver in Win7, but as he says follow the "original instructions", I think he had similar problems to me.

The driver is libwdi 6.1.7600.16385 as reported by diogenes@ in the original topic.

I have checked that both devices still perform as expected with Win10 SDR# (on my indoors desktop) and the latest GQRX in Lubuntu 18.04 Linux (on the laptop), so I doubt whether it's a hardware or firmware problem. I would have considered myself very unlucky, if I'd had two defective devices. You are all probably correct that this is NOT the correct way to do things, but as the devices are working I shall use them for listening rather than spend more time doing battle with Win 7 which is approaching end-of-life.

My first impressions are that the HF+ is superior on MW, at least from 1 to 1.6MHz, although the LW performance does seem to tail off. I can just make out the time signals on 60 & 77kHz. I do miss the wide spectrum view, even 3MHz was better than 660kHz. I am using a Mini Whip antenna and can use a resistive splitter to connect both the SDR and my old Lowe SRX30 receiver at the same time. Up to now the Lowe has often had the edge, when everything is peaked up, ( It tunes rather like the Racal RA17) especially on MW, but with the HF+ it's harder to tell.

Regards, Ian Brooks.