Re: Hi line #radioastronomy #21cm #1420mhz

David Eckhardt

There are actually a fair number of us doing RA with the AirSpy.  That SDR is the center of our receiver at the Little Thompson Observatory
 in Berthoud, Colorado, USA (starkids.org).  I'd encourage you to have a look at our site.  We do both optical and radio astronomy.  We have
a system somewhat similar to yours, but have managed to capture and record raw I/Q data for an 8-MHz wide display utilizing a Russian "hack" to the
SDR# code.  Our STEM project for this past year was to determine the temperature of the hydrogen clouds surrounding the center of our galaxy, SAGA*.
Fortunately, we have a volunteer who is good at fitting Gaussian curves to a big 'bump' to separate out multiple Gaussian curves to an otherwise
unresolved big "bump" in the data.  We are using Radio SkyPipe to record the analog data directly (for show-and-tell during our puplic star nights)).
Our feed is a full-wavelength loop spaced 1/4-wavelength in front of a splash plate built by our students.  Most of our hardware is from
MiniCircuits as we have another volunteer is has an "in" with them(professionally).  By the looks of your data, you're doing pretty good.

If we can be of any assistance, please email us at the Observatory and or myself.  We'll be glad to share successes and failures.

Dave - WØLEV
Volunteer:  Little Thompson Observatory
                  <starkids.org

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM <iz5dkm@...> wrote:
hi guys, in this my first message I would like to revive this topic to find out how many people are interested in radio astronomy.
I am an Italian radio amateur who is dedicated to finding practical solutions in this fascinating field.
Unfortunately, my software skills are modest and this will require the support of you experts.
A two-year acquisition on the hydrogen line in SGR A, 400 cm satellite dish, self-built feed, self-built preamplifier, rx airspy mini, astrospy software, signal acquired in 10 minutes.

--
Dave - WØLEV
Just Let Darwin Work