Re: Optimizing R2 for FM DX

Ian DXer

Prog>   4. People who can do it do not necessarily have time.

So true. That’s already an appreciated & ‘given understanding’ re programmer role.
It also applies to users as well with FM DX modes like meteor & SpE DX. The DX will/may have gone before user setup finished...
Tropospheric ducting DX is where ‘Splatter Removal Tool’ (SRT) techniques/software would be valuable as DX can last for hours or days, certainly long enough to warrant setup efforts.

I think it is worth noting the following at this point.

[A]  Number of MW & SW BCB stations & dxers perusing BCB DX from this spectrum has been in decline over the past 20 years.

[B] Whilst event [A] has occurred I’ve noted many surviving MW & SW dxers transitioning from MW & SW DXing to other types of DXing.
In my region I have noted many established SW & MW dxers in the last 10 years transitioning to FM DX – it has been a growth area.
Many more FM DX  targets available now compared to when I started FM DXing in early 80’s.

[C] SDR hardware / software has been a growth area, whilst I suspect the number/range of available  table top communications receivers have, I suspect, declined.

[D] I was one of the early adopters of antenna/signal Phasing of FM DX. There is considerable time & effort (and patience) required in setup as there would be with (SRT).
But the results were simply spectacular, resulting in a large boost to logs & QSLs.
Admittedly I find only a small number of dxers investing in time & effort in signal Phasing & therefore I could make an assumption due to complexity & effort, maybe only a small % of users might use a SRT or SRT Graphical User Interface (GUI) or similar, but that is an assumption.
Adoption of its widespread use would probably come down to ease of use.
What I note in this forum is there are many very intelligent, technical & knowledgeable folk here who certainly have the aptitude required for SRT usage.
Can’t comment about patience though.
I think it’s naive (for other poster) to ‘seemingly’ suggest that only because ‘a’ poster is interested that it should be implemented.
I’ll let the negative & incorrect ‘self centred’ comments pass. Except to say that anyone in this forum as a right to suggest to prog a feature implementation.
It’s the right of Prog to consider or dismiss.
I know of several outside this forum that if they knew about the SRT technique would be interested, but I know several don’t use SDRs (yet)….

[E] In my country most stations are on odd FM frequencies, eg 100.1, 100.3MHz. SRT technique would be helpful for receiving stations 200kHz apart adjacent to my

local wideband stations. But where the SRT would really shine is with DX targets in surrounding countries where most countries also operate on both odd & even frequencies
& I want to receive a station 100kHz away from a local or semi local station.

Prog> If there is even more demand, I can also design a tabletop receiver with audio output and all this automagic embedded into the DSP.

I’m sure there would be a market for this. Personally; for at home usage the Airspy HF+ takes the place of my table top receiver/tuners. I think however in the portable receiver FM DX market there would be demand from forums I read for a top performing DSP FM radio, more so than tabletops. I’ve recently read where a forum poster asked how these Tecsun & other current similar priced portables compare on FM & one poster said that current top performing car tuners (that no doubt share some of the same hardware chips of the Airspy) notably exceed the current DSP portables in the marketplace for performance.

Prog> Our friends at ST already developed these goodies for the rich cousins of the STA709 yet to be released. The silicon has the same front end, more processing power and a high quality DAC.

That sounds exciting for the next generation of Airspy SDRs ;-)

Prog> Anyone?

Maybe repost in Forum under a new heading ‘prog’?