Re: R2 on RPi3b+

Martin Smith

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 04:35 PM, Bryon NF6M wrote:

a faster CPU (1.6Ghz)
From this page ( http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiplus2/ ) the CPU is a Allwinner H3.
And looking up information about the Allwinner H3 CPU here ( http://linux-sunxi.org/H3 ) says "It's rated to run at 1.296GHz, anything higher is overclocking (and usually overvolting). If you run it without heatsink, fan and proper dvfs settings, you risk overheating.". The Allwinner H3 CPU has 1x 2.0 OTG and 3x Host 2.0 USB ports all of which support High Speed, which is 3 more real USB 2.0 HS ports than all the RPi CPU's.

Looking at the board that OrangePi are selling, it has no fan or heatsink, so it may be able to function at 1.6GHz for short periods of time until thermal overload forces it to use a lower clock speed, but that will shorten the useful lifetime of the product (but you can always use "cpufreq-set" to limit the maximum clock rate and extend the lifetime of the part). The soldered down 16GB eMMc (CPU supports eMMc up to rev 4.41) BGA flash, will eventually fail after 100k writes per block, but as long as the device can boot from the TransFlash/SD slot that should not be an issue. And most Linux distributions with enough knowledge can be modified to work from a readonly filesystems which would extend the useful lifetime of the onboard eMMc to be longer than the useful lifetime of the product. This is never done by default for many reasons, it is a really bad idea unless you know exactly what you are doing and all the future security ramifications.

They are using one USB 2.0 HS port for SATA 2.0 (via GL830 USB-to-SATA bridge chip).
The Realtek RTL8189ETV, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n is on a module that use SDIO, so not using a USB 2.0 HS port.
The USB 2.0 OTG HS port is exposed.
And four USB ports are created through a FE1.1S usb hub chip (1-to-4 USB hub)
So it actually looks to me like one potential USB 2.0 HS port is not routed from the CPU and exposed through any external connectors. So if I was using that board I'd probably use the OTG port for SDR hardware.

On paper the Orange Pi Plus 2E might be a better option, same CPU, same RAM, same 16GB eMMC Flash, cheaper price, with a RTL8189FTV chip soldered to the PCB instead of on a module and it actually exposes all three USB 2.0 HS host ports (no internal USB hub and no USB-to-SATA bridge), the USB 2.0 OTG port has a microUSB connector.

Disclaimer: I don't own either board, but I usually look for potential flaws or gotchas with products before I spend money. Either board should, at least on paper, perform better than a RPi because they have a dedicated GMAC(Gigabit Media Access Controller) built into the CPU and are not using a USB hub chip with integrated USB NIC(Network interface controller).