Re: HOWTO connect to a #spyserver running an AIRSPYHF+ in #spyserver #gnuradio

Martin Smith

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 11:20 PM, <david_hunt@...> wrote:

? I have a hobby project that I would like to do, but I can't get started
until I can get HF bands into gnuradio. Help is appreciated.
I do not think that there is any way to access a spyserver via gnuradio (yet, maybe someday).

Your best bet to access an Airspy HF+ device in gnuradio is via Soapy since there is a driver for that https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyAirspyHF

So you would install the official library for USB access to the Airspy HF+ hardware ( https://github.com/airspy/airspyhf ) then the Vendor neutral SoapySDR layer and after you installed the driver check that it has access to the Airspy HF+ hardware ( SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=airspyhf" ), then in gnuradio (provided it was compiled with soapy support) you would use a OsmoSDR Source block and open a soapy device via "soapy=0,driver=airspyhf". Or could even use SoapyRemote as a workaround to not having access via spyserver.
( Or you could even TRY and use the brand new Out-Of-Tree gr-soapy SoapySDR GNU Radio Module, but that would be bleeding edge, according logs to the initial commit was only 3 months ago. )

For GQRX there is a special fork with a custom branch for the Airspy HF+ ( http://gqrx.dk/supported-hardware#airspyhf ) that could could technically be used to add support to GnuRadio (but that branch has not been pushed upstream to the official gr-osmosdr repository), so that might be a whole be different can of worms that you probably do not want to open unless you really know what you are doing.