Re: SDR's and ESD Damage.

David Salomon <david_salomon@...>

Harry -

I put one of these (https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rtr-1a) in front of my receive antenna splitter/amp, which goes to all my HF radios.  It protects all the attached devices from coax induced ESD and signal overloads.  It will cap the signal level to a safe level so you don't have to worry about cooking the front end of the radio from a transmitter that is too close.  In my case, my receive antenna is only about 15' from one of my transmitting antennas, so it's a lifesaver for my radios.  It is also a switch that will cut the antenna connection to the radios on transmit.  This particular one isn't sold anymore.  However, DX Engineering (and many other ham radio suppliers) have other devices ranging from fairly inexpensive to moderately expensive.  Note that this is ONLY for receive antennas - you can't use it on a connection that will be used for transmit.

I'd rather blow up a $200 protection device than thousands of dollars of connected equipment.

73 - David, AG4F