Re: Newbie material on HF+(more)

Pete Smith <n4zr@...>

Hmmm...somehow I assumed that plastic case had a metallic layer sprayed on the inside.  Oh well, for my purposes, with a receiver that has a noise floor of -140 dBm or so and a metallic case, I get S-meter readings that agree with the stated levels of the XG-3, and the XG-3 signal (even the highest one) is not discernible when disconnected from the receiver.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 4/7/2018 2:21 PM, Martin Smith via Groups.Io wrote:

On Fri, Apr  6, 2018 at 05:57 am, Pete Smith wrote:
XG-3 signal source to about the correct value

FYI: The Elecraft XG3 RF Signal Source, on paper is calibrated from 1.5 MHz to 200 MHz, but that plastic case means that under many physical configurations you will get higher than expected signal levels ( ref: https://youtu.be/0GiFWEEFAJc?t=209 ).
Once you know that there are problems you easily can work around them.