Re: Now I've done it!

Dana Myers

Here's what the USB host fuses are:

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:59 PM, doug <dmcgarrett@...> wrote:

Joanne, I didn't know anything about delayed fusing. (Wonder how that could work?) I hope I never need it, but thanx!

--doug, WA2SAY

On 04/03/2018 10:18 PM, jdow wrote:
Have you tried it on another computer so you can verify IT is dead and not just the port on the laptop? Also give it the better part of a day powered off to see if the "fuses" on the USB ports heal themselves the way they are supposed to. (I've had a USB port take several weeks to heal itself, too.)

{^_^}

On 20180403 18:10, Bill Thompson via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,

Before you all tell me how stupid I am, yes, I'm stupid!

I was working on my station making some measurements today and had a bad slip-up. I managed to spark a 24V power source to a ground wire on a USB audio device hooked to a USB port on the same Lenovo T410 laptop that had my new Airspy HF+ hooked to it. Now the 2 computer USB ports that were in use and the Airspy HF+ no longer work :-( The audio device somehow survived. The laptop is old and expendable. I'm sad about the Airspy.

I already sucked it up and ordered a replacement Airspy HF+ but I thought I'd see if I could work a miracle on the one I broke. Looking inside it there appears to be a 6-pin SMT chip which is probably a USB port protector. Possibly that's what failed and, if so, I have the resources to replace a part like that. However. even with a microscope the marking on the part is not really legible. It looks like it is marked "BTP" with a downward pointing arrow to the left but I'm still not sure what it is.

Does anyone know what that part is? I'd like to check it for failure and perhaps try replacing it. If I've damaged anything beyond that I probably have a pretty new paper weight.

Thanks,

--Bill