Re: Gain control #HF+

jdow

Bingo - question 2 is very pertinent. You need to learn what "decimation" can do to apparent noise levels. And remember that with SDRSharp you are measuring dB relative to full scale and that AirSpy HF+ has nicely effective AGC options.

{^_^}

On 20180313 09:52, Pete Smith wrote:
Can't really quantify. This is something I encountered while doing a full HF survey for RFI.  I ran into one emitter of clear signals every 8 KHz, and noticed that it jumped up in strength on the ham bands as compared to 1-MHz slices above and below the bands.  What I was wondering is whether the Airspy HF+ has different preamp gains settable by band, or whether gain is supposed to be uniform across the HF range.
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at<http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 3/13/2018 9:41 AM, prog wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 06:36 am, Pete Smith wrote:

I'm seeing what seem to be significant gain variations between the ham
bands and other frequencies.

How significant is "significant"? What are the numbers? What is your test setup? And what are your expectations in dB?