Re: USB cable quality and QRM in a spyserver setup with an Airspy Hf+ and Raspberry PI3. 6 microUSB cable test. #airspyhfplus #bestpractice #raspberrypi

Siegfried Jackstien

hmmm ... their dac and adc could make a nice sdr backend with high quality

dg9bfc sigi

Am 12.03.2018 um 13:45 schrieb Ken Alexander:

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever tried one of these.  It's a "USB decrapifier", meant for audio systems.  It isolates computer's USB power from (in our case) the Airspy and replaces it with cleaned-up power from its own linear power supply.  Kind of expensive at US $99 compared to ferrites and better cables.  I've had my eye on them and just wondering.

From: jdow <jdow@...>
To: main@airspy.groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 12:58 AM
Subject: Re: [airspy] USB cable quality and QRM in a spyserver setup with an Airspy Hf+ and Raspberry PI3. 6 microUSB cable test. #airspyhfplus #bestpractice #raspberrypi

Put some ferrite on every lead that goes out of the Pi. Any one of them can
radiate and create problems. Try using a longer cable for the HF+ and placing it
further away from the Pi. You are in the near field for at least the HF noise.
So doubling distance from the noise source will bring as much as a 9 dB
improvement. It will help at much as 6 dB at VHF. A 5 meter cable would not be
out of line. But don't go beyond that without careful testing with a powered USB
extension.

{^_^}