Re: USB cable quality and QRM in a spyserver setup with an Airspy Hf+ and Raspberry PI3. 6 microUSB cable test. #airspyhfplus #bestpractice #raspberrypi

Patrick

Thanks for the tip Dave ;-)

Regards,
Pat

2018-03-11 21:54 GMT+01:00 D R via Groups.Io <robsond90@...>:

Hi Patrick - I got the name wrong: it's BlitzWolf, not Wolfblitz!!  Just search for

BlitzWolf AmpCore Turbo BW-MC8 2.4A Braided Durable Micro USB Charging Data Cable 6ft/1.8m

and they'll pop straight up.  I bought three @ 1.8m and two @ 1m, and delivery took 8-10 days.  (Just make sure you don't order Type-C by mistake!)

Regards,
Dave

To: main@airspy.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 11 March 2018, 20:45
Subject: Re: [airspy] USB cable quality and QRM in a spyserver setup with an Airspy Hf+ and Raspberry PI3. 6 microUSB cable test. #airspyhfplus #bestpractice #raspberrypi

Hi Dave,

Could you please provide the reference of the shielded cable you mention ?
Thanks.

2018-03-11 21:39 GMT+01:00 D R via Groups.Io <robsond90=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>:
Hi David,

I'm currently using Wolfblitz shielded cables I bought on Banggood, and I've found them to be very good indeed.  I've been running an ELAD S2, an RSP1A and an HF+ simultaneously without a trace of PC/USB noise on any of them, whereas previously it took a ton of ferrite to get rid of about 90% of it - on supposedly "good quality" cables.  No ferrite is needed on the new cables.

I think they are only made with microUSB or Type-C connectors at the device end, so I had to get a couple of microUSB to Type B adapters for the S2 and RSP1A, but they don't appear to have compromised the end to end shielding.  They aren't expensive when bought direct, and are well worth a look.

Regards,
Dave

To: main@airspy.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 11 March 2018, 16:44
Subject: Re: [airspy] USB cable quality and QRM in a spyserver setup with an Airspy Hf+ and Raspberry PI3. 6 microUSB cable test. #airspyhfplus #bestpractice #raspberrypi

Hello EA5ZL,

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and it's quite illuminating to see how poor some of those cables are.  I too have run into cables that LOOK like their quality made with built-in ferrites on both ends, etc. only to find their crap.  I wish we could find a reliable source of "RF tight" cables that both consistently good and aren't outrageously priced.

Anyway.. I look forward to your results on the OrangePi to see if it's any better.  Btw.. why the OrangePi vs. say a Tinkerboard or a Pine64 or other?  There are SO many SBCs out there now but it's impossible to beat the community and support found with the Raspberry Pi boards.

--David
KI6ZHD

Join airspy@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.