Re: VERTICAL LINES IN WATERFALL #radioastronomy #bestpractice

jdow

On 2017-11-17 14:13, prog wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 02:10 pm, jdow wrote:
Ground is simply another circuit element. Those who think otherwise or don't
understand that circuit element are doomed to interesting failures. When
considering antennas ground becomes a most interesting and LARGE circuit
element. Distributed Ls and Cs, even Rs, behave in very strange unexpected ways.
A distributed circuit triangle of resistive material over a dielectric over
ground can show such interesting things as a 3 dB/octave attenuation slope.
Happy nightmares! (When I ran across that analysis I suddenly understood
what happens in real transmission lines a little better. After all, they are
distributed RLC circuits, too.)
{^_-}
"Everything is a transmission line" ™
Of course. (Some things are small enough you can sidestep some of the transmission line aspects - for example audio in 10' cables or household power wiring.) An ability to visualize the fields involved can really help.