Re: VERTICAL LINES IN WATERFALL #radioastronomy #bestpractice

prog

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 02:10 pm, jdow wrote:
Ground is simply another circuit element. Those who think otherwise or don't
understand that circuit element are doomed to interesting failures. When
considering antennas ground becomes a most interesting and LARGE circuit
element. Distributed Ls and Cs, even Rs, behave in very strange unexpected ways.
A distributed circuit triangle of resistive material over a dielectric over ground can show such interesting things as a 3 dB/octave attenuation slope. Happy nightmares! (When I ran across that analysis I suddenly understood what happens in real transmission lines a little better. After all, they are distributed RLC circuits, too.)

{^_-}
"Everything is a transmission line"