Re: VERTICAL LINES IN WATERFALL #radioastronomy #bestpractice

prog

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 07:18 pm, Normand Fortin wrote:

Thanks a whole lot David, by the way, i'm doing astronomy too, its a matter of time before i combine both hobbies ;-)

Thats why i'm putting a lot of effort controlling my R2 in every corner.

On the technical side, i took another step tonight to ensure the cleanest RF environment around the antenna, which i relocated another 30ft from the house, using RG-58/u (i know its lossy but handy to effect some fast testing, the loss serves also as an attenuator for my longwire which is gonna help my quest i think). That helped decrease the lines further, so now, the remaining ones are very probably what the usb cable carries. They are in the 8.5 to 12.5 mhz range mostly, but much fainter. Like you said, very acceptable, although i'm gonna try my best to clean the usb way. I'm reassured that my Airspy is inded ok from what you described.

2 more questions:

Now in my 1st post about it i was describing those fixed lines with all gain sliders down. Can you see that as well in your setup around HF frequencies?

Also does your laptop touchpad produces some ripples in the hf range as well when you put your fingers on it?   I tore the laptop down completely and back up as i thought a faulty ground would cause that. No fix, but the laptop is now faster!!!

At last i get a decent waterfall window where you can read the band activity from a distance.

Back to the bench now, i got to do another ferrite round on this usb thing.

Cheers, Norm

Airpsy R2 + Spyverter

RTL SDR V3  + Ham it up 1.2

Couple basic RTL for generic testing

Once you set the gain to appropriate levels, the RF noise overrides the quantization noise. Then you should only care about normalizing the spectrum to make the response as flat as possible.