Date   
Re: DNA Day Sale - Big-Y $150 off

Jared Smith
 

Fran -

That's excellent news! This will be a very nice addition to that
portion of the tree. I'll keep an eye out for the results, but when
you see them come in, ping me and I'll take a close look. It would be
especially helpful if I can get their raw data files to analyze.

It would be wonderful if this tester would join the group here.

Thanks,

Jared Smith

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Fran Pillsbury <franp1@...> wrote:
Happy to report that Kit 601582, my new project member, ordered Big-Y last
Thursday. So there will soon be a Pillsbury SNP below the Hays-Pillsbury
node on the R1b-L513 Tree.!

He is currently a member of R1b (Y-111 ), but not L21 or L513. His MDKA is
the same as mine: Wm. Pilsbury, b. 1605 -- not yet updated on his account.

Cheers,

Fran Pillsbury

At 06:23 PM 4/22/2017 -0600, you wrote:

I hope everyone is doing well. We haven't had any new tests on our

Re: DNA Day Sale - Big-Y $150 off

Joel Hartley
 

Hi Jared,

I was notified on the Hartley Family Tree Genealogy Facebook page that John Hartley has ordered an A11132 Test from YSEQ.

Joel

On 4/29/2017 7:49 PM, Jared Smith wrote:
Fran -

That's excellent news! This will be a very nice addition to that
portion of the tree. I'll keep an eye out for the results, but when
you see them come in, ping me and I'll take a close look. It would be
especially helpful if I can get their raw data files to analyze.

It would be wonderful if this tester would join the group here.

Thanks,

Jared Smith


On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Fran Pillsbury <franp1@...> wrote:
Happy to report that Kit 601582, my new project member, ordered Big-Y last
Thursday. So there will soon be a Pillsbury SNP below the Hays-Pillsbury
node on the R1b-L513 Tree.!

He is currently a member of R1b (Y-111 ), but not L21 or L513. His MDKA is
the same as mine: Wm. Pilsbury, b. 1605 -- not yet updated on his account.

Cheers,

Fran Pillsbury

At 06:23 PM 4/22/2017 -0600, you wrote:

I hope everyone is doing well. We haven't had any new tests on our

Re: John Hartley A11132 Positive

Joel Hartley
 

Hi again,

John Hartley just notified me of the following:

"I have received my YSEQ results and the summary is A11132 T+ and Z17912 C+."

Joel Hartley

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Hartley [mailto:joel@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 7:18 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Z16357] DNA Day Sale - Big-Y $150 off

Hi Jared,

I was notified on the Hartley Family Tree Genealogy Facebook page that John Hartley has ordered an A11132 Test from YSEQ.

Joel

On 4/29/2017 7:49 PM, Jared Smith wrote:
Fran -

That's excellent news! This will be a very nice addition to that
portion of the tree. I'll keep an eye out for the results, but when
you see them come in, ping me and I'll take a close look. It would be
especially helpful if I can get their raw data files to analyze.

It would be wonderful if this tester would join the group here.

Thanks,

Jared Smith


On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Fran Pillsbury <franp1@...> wrote:
Happy to report that Kit 601582, my new project member, ordered Big-Y
last Thursday. So there will soon be a Pillsbury SNP below the
Hays-Pillsbury node on the R1b-L513 Tree.!

He is currently a member of R1b (Y-111 ), but not L21 or L513. His
MDKA is the same as mine: Wm. Pilsbury, b. 1605 -- not yet updated on his account.

Cheers,

Fran Pillsbury

At 06:23 PM 4/22/2017 -0600, you wrote:

I hope everyone is doing well. We haven't had any new tests on our

Re: John Hartley A11132 Positive

Jared Smith
 

Joel -

This is great news! Another person on our branch!

If desired, you could "Wish a SNP" at YSEQ for some of the other Hartley SNPs. If they can test them, then John could take some additional tests (at $17.50 each) to discover where his branch falls.

It's difficult to know which SNPs to recommend to test. We know that in addition to A11132, you and Michael share A11134, A11135, A11137, A11139, and A11140. Based on the age predictions (I have these SNPs as being between 912 and 395 years ago), most or all of these probably pre-date the Hartley surname, so it's most likely that John has these too.

You could instead (or in addition) "Wish a SNP" for some of your and Michael's novel variants to see if John falls on your or Michael's Hartley branch. A11133, A11136, A11130, A11131 would be the best ones from your branch. I could recommend some for Michael too.

If there was a prospect of several more Hartley testers, we could put together a Hartley SNP Panel with maybe 8-12 SNPs (at $116-$169) that would be a good set for Hartley people to get good fidelity for where they fall on the Hartley branches. With a few testers, we'd almost certainly find some new branches this way, though no new SNPs (Big-Y's the only path to these).

Thanks,

Jared


On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 4:18 AM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:
Hi again,

John Hartley just notified me of the following:

        "I have received my YSEQ results and the summary is A11132 T+ and Z17912 C+."

Joel Hartley

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Hartley [mailto:joel@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 7:18 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Z16357] DNA Day Sale - Big-Y $150 off

Hi Jared,

I was notified on the Hartley Family Tree Genealogy Facebook page that John Hartley has ordered an A11132 Test from YSEQ.

Joel

On 4/29/2017 7:49 PM, Jared Smith wrote:
> Fran -
>
> That's excellent news! This will be a very nice addition to that
> portion of the tree. I'll keep an eye out for the results, but when
> you see them come in, ping me and I'll take a close look. It would be
> especially helpful if I can get their raw data files to analyze.
>
> It would be wonderful if this tester would join the group here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jared Smith
>
>
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Fran Pillsbury <franp1@...> wrote:
>> Happy to report that Kit 601582, my new project member, ordered Big-Y
>> last Thursday. So there will soon be a Pillsbury SNP below the
>> Hays-Pillsbury node on the R1b-L513 Tree.!
>>
>> He is currently a member of R1b (Y-111 ), but not L21 or L513. His
>> MDKA is the same as  mine: Wm. Pilsbury, b. 1605 -- not yet updated on his account.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Fran Pillsbury
>>
>> At 06:23 PM 4/22/2017 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>> I hope everyone is doing well. We haven't had any new tests on our
>>
>>
>
>






New Pillsbury member

Jared Smith
 

I'm happy to welcome Rachel to the list. She administers the C.
Pillsbury Big-Y test that is a new close match to us. She shares a
relative with Fran Pillsbury dating to 1605. They both fall onto the
BY13850 haplogroup of our tree. This is below the Z16854 block on the
tree that represents their common Hays/Pillsbury ancestry (see
http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp).

The two Pillsbury men share the following "good" variants:
18770840-C-T (BY13850)
9496274-C-A (BY13851)
14811392-G-T

These are solid SNPs that indicate their shared Pillsbury ancestry
AFTER the Hays/Pillsbury ancestor, but before their Pillsbury lines
split in the 1600s. This does not change my SNP chart at all -
http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp (with the exception of adding the 3rd
SNP above to the Pillsbury block).

I've only been able to identify one good novel variant for the C.
Pillsbury line:
18839503-C-A

A novel variant is a mutation not shared with anyone else that has tested.

This also leaves Fran's Pillsbury line with only 1 good novel variant
(and I'm being a bit liberal with that one because it's a bit
questionable). This is a bit peculiar, because the 12 of us under
Z16357 average around 75 years per variant - and the Pillsburys have
only one identified in almost 400 years. This highlights the
difficulty with few testers in each haplogroup/block. Michael, Alex,
and YFull have better mechanisms for identifying "good" novel
variants, so they might find some I'm missing.

One problem with so few novel variants is that it makes it more
difficult to generate a basic Y-DNA test for people to determine which
side of the Pillsbury line they fall on.

Another is that it throws a bit of a wrench into my age estimations.
With only 1 novel variant each, this would suggest that the most
recent shared ancestor for the Pillsbury's was born 2-3 generations
ago - but we know he was instead born over 400 years ago. This likely
sways my age estimates to be more recent that is reality for that part
of the tree. My math puts the common Hays/Pillsbury ancestor being
born 626-734 years ago. Overall, this impacts my aging estimates for
the entire tree very negligibly - only .5 years more per variant. The
more testers we get, the more accurate this value becomes.

We'll have some other big news for our part of the tree soon!

Jared

New major Smith branch!

Jared Smith
 

We have a new, significant branching under Z16357. Up to this point Sylvia Smith was the only person truly at Z16357 - meaning that her kit had tested positive for Z16357, but for no shared SNPs downstream from there. If we think of Z16357 as the trunk or base of our part of the tree, there has thus far been only one branch (Z16343) coming from that trunk, which then split into two sub-branches (Z17911 and Z16854), which split into the various sub-sub-branches below them.

The Big-Y results for Lenita's brother (Leonard Ellwin Smith) are in and they create a 2nd major branch from the Z16357 trunk for Lenita and Sylvia. This Smith branch is VERY long - extending from a common (yet unknown) Smith ancestor that lived a few hundred years ago all the way back to Z16357 (probably 2500 years ago or so). It's pretty incredible to think that nobody else on this family line has done DNA testing to this level yet.

To avoid potential confusion, while my surname is Smith, it's only coincidental - this new Smith line and my Smith line below Z17911 are very distant - connecting at Z16357 around 2500 years ago.

I've updated my charts at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp so you can see the new branching.

Lenita and Sylvia share 24 SNPs/variants. This represents around 2000 years of their family line with no known branching. This new branch has yet to be named - but I suspect that FTDNA will submit these 24 shared SNPs for naming - and one of them will be chosen as the designator for this branch of the tree.

Sylvia has the following 4 novel variants (meaning mutations that are unique to her, so they occurred more recently than Lenita's and Sylvia's common ancestor):
14703381-T-A
21734697-A-G
22102505-G-T
23817871-G-A

Lenita has the following 3 novel variants:
7676708-T-A
15315228-G-A
19139648-C-T

If I apply my aging methodology, this would suggest that their common Smith ancestor was born between 333 and 383 years ago (sometime in the mid- to late-1600s). However, these two Smiths have fewer variants/mutations (28 and 27) than is the average for our group (35.2), so this might suggest that their common ancestor is a bit more distant than this. But these are just VERY rough estimates, so their ancestor could also be more recent. As we get more Smith testers, this will be refined.

This is a very notable addition to our tree! Thank you Sylvia and Lenita for investing in Big-Y! We're trying to identify other distant Smith cousins to take Big-Y to help us better define this new Smith branch.

Thanks,

Jared Smith


Re: New major Smith branch!

Jared Smith
 

FTDNA has now had these Smith SNPs named. The new haplogroup label is R-BY19970. The FTDNA tree has been updated, as well as the terminal SNP identifier for Sylvia's and Lenita's kits. I've also updated my charts at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp

Jared


On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
We have a new, significant branching under Z16357. Up to this point Sylvia Smith was the only person truly at Z16357 - meaning that her kit had tested positive for Z16357, but for no shared SNPs downstream from there. If we think of Z16357 as the trunk or base of our part of the tree, there has thus far been only one branch (Z16343) coming from that trunk, which then split into two sub-branches (Z17911 and Z16854), which split into the various sub-sub-branches below them.

The Big-Y results for Lenita's brother (Leonard Ellwin Smith) are in and they create a 2nd major branch from the Z16357 trunk for Lenita and Sylvia. This Smith branch is VERY long - extending from a common (yet unknown) Smith ancestor that lived a few hundred years ago all the way back to Z16357 (probably 2500 years ago or so). It's pretty incredible to think that nobody else on this family line has done DNA testing to this level yet.

To avoid potential confusion, while my surname is Smith, it's only coincidental - this new Smith line and my Smith line below Z17911 are very distant - connecting at Z16357 around 2500 years ago.

I've updated my charts at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp so you can see the new branching.

Lenita and Sylvia share 24 SNPs/variants. This represents around 2000 years of their family line with no known branching. This new branch has yet to be named - but I suspect that FTDNA will submit these 24 shared SNPs for naming - and one of them will be chosen as the designator for this branch of the tree.

Sylvia has the following 4 novel variants (meaning mutations that are unique to her, so they occurred more recently than Lenita's and Sylvia's common ancestor):
14703381-T-A
21734697-A-G
22102505-G-T
23817871-G-A

Lenita has the following 3 novel variants:
7676708-T-A
15315228-G-A
19139648-C-T

If I apply my aging methodology, this would suggest that their common Smith ancestor was born between 333 and 383 years ago (sometime in the mid- to late-1600s). However, these two Smiths have fewer variants/mutations (28 and 27) than is the average for our group (35.2), so this might suggest that their common ancestor is a bit more distant than this. But these are just VERY rough estimates, so their ancestor could also be more recent. As we get more Smith testers, this will be refined.

This is a very notable addition to our tree! Thank you Sylvia and Lenita for investing in Big-Y! We're trying to identify other distant Smith cousins to take Big-Y to help us better define this new Smith branch.

Thanks,

Jared Smith



New aging estimates

Jared Smith
 

Iain McDonald has just published a new project analyzing all of the P312 Big-Y results. P312 is much older than our Z16357. The general heredity is P312 > L21/Z290 > L513 > S5668 > Z16357.

He places the 95% reliability date of Z16357 being formed 2528BC — 1177BC with a central date of 1873BC. This is quite a bit older than the estimates I've been using. I generally run two sets - one at 1000BC and one at 500BC.

He places Z17911 as formed 310BC — 713AD with a central date of 252AD. This is also quite a bit older than the 1000AD date I've calculated.

As for our more recent haplogroups, his estimates are only slightly older than mine.

Of note is that he did not include our recent Smith BY19970 data. If he had, I think this would have pushed his dates a bit more recent.

Does this mean that his estimates are right and mine wrong? We all perform mathematical analysis within certain constraints and assumptions. And the variability is notable. He certainly applies a strong methodology.

You can check out Iain's excellent work at http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html

Jared

Re: New aging estimates

Charles Thomas
 

Thanks for the notification, Jared. Yes, great work Iain McDonald is doing. I wonder, however, why he doesn't use the widely accepted BCE/CE dating standard rather than the old BC/AD. It's not a big thing but it would seem more scientific to me to use BCE/CE.

Charles Thomas


From: Z16357@groups.io <Z16357@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:09 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New aging estimates
 
Iain McDonald has just published a new project analyzing all of the P312 Big-Y results. P312 is much older than our Z16357. The general heredity is P312 > L21/Z290 > L513 > S5668 > Z16357.

He places the 95% reliability date of Z16357 being formed 2528BC — 1177BC with a central date of 1873BC. This is quite a bit older than the estimates I've been using. I generally run two sets - one at 1000BC and one at 500BC.

He places Z17911 as formed 310BC — 713AD with a central date of 252AD. This is also quite a bit older than the 1000AD date I've calculated.

As for our more recent haplogroups, his estimates are only slightly older than mine.

Of note is that he did not include our recent Smith BY19970 data. If he had, I think this would have pushed his dates a bit more recent.

Does this mean that his estimates are right and mine wrong? We all perform mathematical analysis within certain constraints and assumptions. And the variability is notable. He certainly applies a strong methodology.

You can check out Iain's excellent work at http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html

www.jb.man.ac.uk
I have a side interest in genetic genealogy, for which I am Honorary Research Fellow in Genenealogy, Paleography and Heraldry at the Centre for Lifelong Learning at ...



Jared

Re: New aging estimates

Joel Hartley
 

Thanks Jared,

 

I don’t have a lot of backup, but I have thought that perhaps some of your dates were too recent. I’m guessing the truth could be in the middle between you and McDonald. My thought was that the trend has been that some of our SNPs could be more recent than previously thought. My recollection was that this applied to the L513 SNPs in general, but I’m not sure. A third opinion would be the YFull YTree update which should be coming out shortly. Dating can be one of the more fascinating aspects of YDNA.

 

Joel

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 11:10 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New aging estimates

 

Iain McDonald has just published a new project analyzing all of the P312 Big-Y results. P312 is much older than our Z16357. The general heredity is P312 > L21/Z290 > L513 > S5668 > Z16357.

 

He places the 95% reliability date of Z16357 being formed 2528BC — 1177BC with a central date of 1873BC. This is quite a bit older than the estimates I've been using. I generally run two sets - one at 1000BC and one at 500BC.

 

He places Z17911 as formed 310BC — 713AD with a central date of 252AD. This is also quite a bit older than the 1000AD date I've calculated.

 

As for our more recent haplogroups, his estimates are only slightly older than mine.

 

Of note is that he did not include our recent Smith BY19970 data. If he had, I think this would have pushed his dates a bit more recent.

 

Does this mean that his estimates are right and mine wrong? We all perform mathematical analysis within certain constraints and assumptions. And the variability is notable. He certainly applies a strong methodology.

 

You can check out Iain's excellent work at http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html

 

Jared

Re: New aging estimates

Joel Hartley
 

I forgot to mention – I checked the L513 Yahoo Forum and didn’t see mention of this study. I would have thought that it would have been big news there.

 

Joel

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 11:10 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New aging estimates

 

Iain McDonald has just published a new project analyzing all of the P312 Big-Y results. P312 is much older than our Z16357. The general heredity is P312 > L21/Z290 > L513 > S5668 > Z16357.

 

He places the 95% reliability date of Z16357 being formed 2528BC — 1177BC with a central date of 1873BC. This is quite a bit older than the estimates I've been using. I generally run two sets - one at 1000BC and one at 500BC.

 

He places Z17911 as formed 310BC — 713AD with a central date of 252AD. This is also quite a bit older than the 1000AD date I've calculated.

 

As for our more recent haplogroups, his estimates are only slightly older than mine.

 

Of note is that he did not include our recent Smith BY19970 data. If he had, I think this would have pushed his dates a bit more recent.

 

Does this mean that his estimates are right and mine wrong? We all perform mathematical analysis within certain constraints and assumptions. And the variability is notable. He certainly applies a strong methodology.

 

You can check out Iain's excellent work at http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html

 

Jared

New Big-Y files needed

Jared Smith
 

Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here - no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.

For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still some issues they are working through).

FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19 reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference. So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to find new shared or novel variants.

To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA Results and VCF files.

Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be incredibly helpful to our research.

1. Log in to FTDNA.
3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file
4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.
5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.
6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me off-list - jared@...

Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Thanks!

Jared Smith

Re: New Big-Y files needed

Joel Hartley
 

Hi Jared,

 

Thanks for the email and thanks for your analyses.

 

The other file was too big. I’ll try in a separate email, but the message told me to put it in a shared location.

 

Joel

 

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 PM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed

 

Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here - no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.

 

For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still some issues they are working through).

 

FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19 reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference. So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to find new shared or novel variants.


To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA Results and VCF files.

 

Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be incredibly helpful to our research.

 

1. Log in to FTDNA.

3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file

4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.

5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.

6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me off-list - jared@...

 

Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.

 

Thanks!

 

Jared Smith

 

Re: New Big-Y files needed

Joel Hartley
 

Yes, still no luck with the VCF. Any suggestions? I have used the Cloud through Microsoft, but only on a limited basis and am not very familiar with it. I also have my own website, but not sure how to share files with you.

 

Joel

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 PM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed

 

Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here - no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.

 

For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still some issues they are working through).

 

FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19 reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference. So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to find new shared or novel variants.


To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA Results and VCF files.

 

Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be incredibly helpful to our research.

 

1. Log in to FTDNA.

3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file

4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.

5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.

6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me off-list - jared@...

 

Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.

 

Thanks!

 

Jared Smith

 

Re: New Big-Y files needed

James Bennett
 

Joel,

If by "Microsoft Cloud" you mean "One Drive", I believe if you store the file on your local OneDrive folder, you can "right-click" the file and chose "Share a OneDrive link".  That will but a link in your clipboard that you can paste into the e-mail.

HTH,
James

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:

Yes, still no luck with the VCF. Any suggestions? I have used the Cloud through Microsoft, but only on a limited basis and am not very familiar with it. I also have my own website, but not sure how to share files with you.

 

Joel

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 PM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed

 

Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here - no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.

 

For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still some issues they are working through).

 

FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19 reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference. So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to find new shared or novel variants.


To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA Results and VCF files.

 

Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be incredibly helpful to our research.

 

1. Log in to FTDNA.

3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file

4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.

5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.

6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me off-list - jared@...

 

Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.

 

Thanks!

 

Jared Smith

 


Re: New Big-Y files needed

Joel Hartley
 

Hi James,

 

I guess I’m underutilizing this:

 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgUuC5wLrF2Ogy40BVWOsivXYYgD

 

Hope you get it (and that it is the right file).

 

Joel

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bennett
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:23 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed

 

Joel,

 

If by "Microsoft Cloud" you mean "One Drive", I believe if you store the file on your local OneDrive folder, you can "right-click" the file and chose "Share a OneDrive link".  That will but a link in your clipboard that you can paste into the e-mail.

 

HTH,

James

 

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:

Yes, still no luck with the VCF. Any suggestions? I have used the Cloud through Microsoft, but only on a limited basis and am not very familiar with it. I also have my own website, but not sure how to share files with you.

 

Joel

 

From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 PM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed

 

Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here - no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.

 

For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still some issues they are working through).

 

FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19 reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference. So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to find new shared or novel variants.


To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA Results and VCF files.

 

Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be incredibly helpful to our research.

 

1. Log in to FTDNA.

3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file

4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.

5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.

6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me off-list - jared@...

 

Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.

 

Thanks!

 

Jared Smith

 

 

Big Y build 38

James Bennett
 

Here is an interesting article on how to leverage the new FtDNA tools.  Of course, I will need to read it multiple time for it to sink in at all.  :)

James

Re: Big Y build 38

Charles Thomas
 

Thank you for the link, James!

Charles




From: Z16357@groups.io <Z16357@groups.io> on behalf of James Bennett <james@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 11:06 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] Big Y build 38
 
Here is an interesting article on how to leverage the new FtDNA tools.  Of course, I will need to read it multiple time for it to sink in at all.  :)

James

Re: New Big-Y files needed

Jared Smith
 

Hi all! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and I wish you all
the best in this new year!

I'm still in need of quite a few new Build 38 files to update my
analysis. I've received Raw Data files for the following:
- J Hartley
- C Hays
- Bennett

I know there were some difficulties with the file size of the Raw Data
file, which is the critical one for my analysis. Fortunately, I've
discovered a much easier way to get the Raw Data file that doesn't
involve you downloading it at all:

1. Log in to familytreedna.com
2. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/my/big-y (or click MyFTDNA...
Big-Y... Matches)
3. Select the "Download Raw Data" button near the top right of the screen.
4. Right-click on the green "Download VCF" (NOT "Download BAM") button
at the bottom of the screen, and select "Copy Link Address". This menu
options might also be called "Copy Link Location" or similar,
depending on the browser you're using.
5. Reply to this message (or a private e-mail just to me, if you
prefer) and paste (Control or Command + V) in the long web site
address, then send to me.

It would be very helpful for our project if you could send this to me.

I also strongly encourage you to share your Raw Data file to the new
Y-DNA Data Warehouse. This will allow other researchers to analyze the
data to help build our tree. Instructions are at
http://haplogroup-r.org/instructions.html You use the same copied Link
Address as above, so it's very easy to submit.

Thanks,

Jared

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:
Hi James,



I guess I’m underutilizing this:



https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgUuC5wLrF2Ogy40BVWOsivXYYgD



Hope you get it (and that it is the right file).



Joel



From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bennett
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:23 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed



Joel,



If by "Microsoft Cloud" you mean "One Drive", I believe if you store the
file on your local OneDrive folder, you can "right-click" the file and chose
"Share a OneDrive link". That will but a link in your clipboard that you
can paste into the e-mail.



HTH,

James



On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:

Yes, still no luck with the VCF. Any suggestions? I have used the Cloud
through Microsoft, but only on a limited basis and am not very familiar with
it. I also have my own website, but not sure how to share files with you.



Joel



From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 PM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed



Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here -
no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR
matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.



For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable
updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still
some issues they are working through).



FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most
basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to
represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a
G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19
reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference.
So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp
will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to
find new shared or novel variants.


To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA
Results and VCF files.



Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be
incredibly helpful to our research.



1. Log in to FTDNA.

2. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/my/big-y

3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file

4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.

5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.

6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me
off-list - jared@...



Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web
site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.



Thanks!



Jared Smith





Re: New Big-Y files needed

Thomas Goff
 

Hello Jared,

Happy new year and hope you are well!


It looks like the link you sent are for those who have done the Big-Y test. I haven't taken Big-Y, but I have attached an image of what is available for my download. Please let me know if any of these are useful.

Thanks,
Tom


Inline image


On Sunday, January 7, 2018, 7:01:29 PM EST, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:


Hi all! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and I wish you all
the best in this new year!

I'm still in need of quite a few new Build 38 files to update my
analysis. I've received Raw Data files for the following:
- J Hartley
- C Hays
- Bennett

I know there were some difficulties with the file size of the Raw Data
file, which is the critical one for my analysis. Fortunately, I've
discovered a much easier way to get the Raw Data file that doesn't
involve you downloading it at all:

1. Log in to familytreedna.com
2. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/my/big-y (or click MyFTDNA...
Big-Y... Matches)
3. Select the "Download Raw Data" button near the top right of the screen.
4. Right-click on the green "Download VCF" (NOT "Download BAM") button
at the bottom of the screen, and select "Copy Link Address". This menu
options might also be called "Copy Link Location" or similar,
depending on the browser you're using.
5. Reply to this message (or a private e-mail just to me, if you
prefer) and paste (Control or Command + V) in the long web site
address, then send to me.

It would be very helpful for our project if you could send this to me.

I also strongly encourage you to share your Raw Data file to the new
Y-DNA Data Warehouse. This will allow other researchers to analyze the
data to help build our tree. Instructions are at
http://haplogroup-r.org/instructions.html You use the same copied Link
Address as above, so it's very easy to submit.

Thanks,

Jared

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
>
>
> I guess I’m underutilizing this:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hope you get it (and that it is the right file).
>
>
>
> Joel
>
>
>
> From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bennett
> Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:23 AM
> Subject: Re: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed
>
>
>
> Joel,
>
>
>
> If by "Microsoft Cloud" you mean "One Drive", I believe if you store the
> file on your local OneDrive folder, you can "right-click" the file and chose
> "Share a OneDrive link".  That will but a link in your clipboard that you
> can paste into the e-mail.
>
>
>
> HTH,
>
> James
>
>
>
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, still no luck with the VCF. Any suggestions? I have used the Cloud
> through Microsoft, but only on a limited basis and am not very familiar with
> it. I also have my own website, but not sure how to share files with you.
>
>
>
> Joel
>
>
>
> From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
> Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44 PM
> Subject: [Z16357] New Big-Y files needed
>
>
>
> Hello fellow Z16357 cousins! Things have been relatively quiet around here -
> no new matches in quite some time. Now's a great time to recruit those STR
> matches of ours = Big-Y is on sale for $475.
>
>
>
> For Big-Y customers, you've probably seen that FTDNA has made notable
> updates to their Big-Y tools. There are some nice improvements (though still
> some issues they are working through).
>
>
>
> FTDNA has also moved to a new Y-DNA reference - hg19 to hg38. At it's most
> basic level, this is an adjustment of the numeric values that are used to
> represent different 'markers' on the Y-chromosome. Z16357, for example, is a
> G to T allele change at position 22,512,912 when using the older hg19
> reference, but it's G to T at position 20,351,026 using the hg38 reference.
> So all of the SNP and variant numbering at http://dna.smithplanet.com/snp
> will need to be updated. The new reference provides us some opportunity to
> find new shared or novel variants.
>
>
> To update my research and reference numbers, I need your updated FTDNA
> Results and VCF files.
>
>
>
> Please take a few moments to download and e-mail them to me. This will be
> incredibly helpful to our research.
>
>
>
> 1. Log in to FTDNA.
>
>
> 3. Click "Export Results" at the top right and save the .csv file
>
> 4. Click "Download Raw Data" at the top right.
>
> 5. Click "Download VCF" at the bottom and save the .zip file.
>
> 6. Attach both the .csv and .zip files to a new e-mail and send to me
> off-list - jared@...
>
>
>
> Once I have everyone's updated results, I'll analyze them, update the web
> site, and let you know if I find anything interesting.
>
>
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
> Jared Smith
>
>
>
>
>
>