From: Z16357@groups.io [mailto:Z16357@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 10:19 AM
To: Z16357@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Z16357] Z17911 BigY

Then scratch what I posted before - though this is the logic used for positioning on the tree. I recall now that I had written earlier about these 2 SNPs.

These are both known SNPs, but for totally different haplogroups. They are in poor coverage regions on your tests, so I think they are either misreads or they are private SNPs that just happen to coincide with the other known SNPs. It seems FTDNA has identified them as differences for you because they were in some database somewhere at the time the results were processed.

CTS3563 is an SNP for the E haplogroup (search for CTS3563 at http://isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpE.html). Alex has it highlighted pink on Merrick's results which means it's on the edge of a coverage region.

CTS11841 is very similar. This is C>T at position 23311208. This is an I haplogroup SNP in the ISOGG list. This is one that you have that Merrick doesn't. This mutation isn't listed by Alex for you, probably because it is on the very edge of a coverage region - so probably a misread for you.

CTS11841 should also show as a difference between you and Bennett (he's negative for it). But it is a 'maybe' for some of the others on our branch (Thomas, one of the Hays men, etc.). This reinforces that it's in a poor read area. I suspect that FTDNA dropped this one from consideration between the time your results were processed and Bennett's were, so that's why it's not showing for you two... or something.

This is what differentiates Alex's analysis from FTDNA's tools - Alex takes the time to analyze these things to weed out such anomalies and questionable reads, and he look for possibilities (especially between multiple men) that don't fit within FTDNA's automated processes. Rumor has it some new SNP tools will be coming to FTDNA soon - their current tools seem to be rather lacking.

Jared

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:46 AM, Joel Hartley <joel@...> wrote:
Here are the two SNPs that the Big Y shows as being different between
me and
Merrick:

CTS3563 CTS11841

According to the Big Tree website:

CTS3563 is 15022900-G-A

That shows up as a unique mutation for Merrick. So I wouldn't think
that if Merrick has this as a unique mutation that that would count as
a one SNP difference. I don't know much about CTS11841. Apparently I
have that one and Merrick doesn't. I have also read that it is
unreliable, so I'm not sure why this would be listed as a difference between me and anyone.

Joel

Join Z16357@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.