Topics

Use Multiple Data Sources

rich.126@...

The recent loss of Yahoo as a day data source had a silver lining.  I learned a lot more about the XLQ program.  Like many users, I had to move from Yahoo to TDA.  I also had to become more familiar with XLQ preferences in order to change the default data source to TDA.  And I learned a heck of a lot more about the XLQ formula and how to use it in my spreadsheet.

I determined that making TDA as the day data source allowed me to change all formula so that it doesn't even need to list the data source - since TDA is now the default.

I also figured out that the not all data is available from every data source.  As an example, TDA does not provide Price to Book %, yet Yahoo does.  However, to pull data from Yahoo when TDA is the default, you have to show Yahoo as the data source in the XLQ formula.

I also realized that the XLQ Demo program is very helpful and can be used to compare what data is available from TDA and Yahoo for the same stock symbol.

I am really happy that Yahoo is now back providing data, but  TDA appears to be faster and I am not having any issues with obtaining data on around 1300 shares so will continue with TDA as default.  But I will also add Yahoo to pull data (price to book) that TDA does not provide.

Good job Leo!

Dave Clews

Great sharing of lessons learnt Rich!

On 29 Nov 2017 7:30 AM, "rich.126@... [xlqusers]" <xlqusers@...> wrote:

[...]

Edward Howerter

I am currently using Yahoo (<=800 symbols), IQFeed (<=500), TDA (<=500) and IB (<=100) as data feeds.  I agree each does things a bit differently.

Are you saying you  are getting 1300 symbols from TDA or that you have 1300 shares covered by the 500 symbols you get from TDA?

Ed

[...]

Richard Hill <rich.126@...>

Ed,

I can’t tell you why, but yes, I am getting info from TDA on approx. 1300 different stocks.

Rich