Topics

=xlqName #N/A

sinclairdp@...

Hi, I am trying to get the name of a security ticker but when in I put in formula =xlqName("msft","yahoo") I get an #N/A. What am I doing wrong?

j. van halteren

Hello,

I suppose you are not doing anything wrong. I think it has to do with the Yahoo service being terminated. Below is the info from Leo about this (November 3). Greetings.

-------

Hi

Just a quick update. Yahoo have confirmed that their day data download service has been discontinued and it will be removed from xlq for the next update.

The alternative that they have put in place allows Yahoo! registered users to download only the symbols entered into a portfolio on their site and is limited to some basic values such as price, open, high, low, volume.

I understand the impact this has for users working with their data, especially for those working with non US exchanges where data alternatives are limited. But a chapter has turned on market data and it is time to move forwards.

Concerning xlq itself, it continues to work, and will continue to be developed, and it changes nothing for all the new stuff I am working on. (more on that later as there is no plugin alternative for yahoo)

The advantage of xlq supporting multiples sources is that it is easy to switch from one to the other.

The majority of users, who do not use Yahoo, are not impacted, and those who started with free sources and have moved on to use the true streaming realtime feeds due to different issues encountered with yahoo etc. in the past can no doubt confirm the better service and data returned from the remaining day data feeds.

Just to recap, these are

TDAmeritrade – this is primarily for the US market. Their streaming realtime data feed, which includes intraday backfill and realtime options is free for account holders, i.e. no account or data fees (for non-professionals)

IQFeed – covers streaming realtime or delayed US, Canadian , UK, options, futures etc. also includes intraday backfill. The data is top notch, is fairly pricey but is in a class of its own in terms of reliability and support.

Interactivebrokers – requires an account with them and a realtime subscription for the exchanges for which you want data. They provides streaming realtime data and intraday backfill on virtually any market and product worldwide. For many users who work with non US exchanges this is the only choice. It is pricey to fund an account, but data fees are often easily offset against their low commissions.

I have sometimes seen mentioned not wanting to change brokers. But there is no need to change brokers just to use an additional one.

Regards

Leo

RichardH

Change “yahoo” to “TDA”.