Topics

=xlqName #N/A

sinclairdp@...

Hi, I am trying to get the name of a security ticker but when in I put in formula =xlqName("msft","yahoo") I get an #N/A. What am I doing wrong? 

j. van halteren

Hello,

I suppose you are not doing anything wrong. I think it has to do with the Yahoo service being terminated. Below is the info from Leo about this (November 3). Greetings.

-------

Hi

Just a quick update. Yahoo have confirmed that their day data download service has been discontinued and it will be removed from xlq for the next update.

The alternative that they have put in place allows Yahoo! registered users to download only the symbols entered into a portfolio on their site and is limited to some basic values such as price, open, high, low, volume.

I understand the impact this has for users working with their data, especially for those working with non US exchanges where data alternatives are limited. But a chapter has turned on market data and it is time to move forwards.

Concerning xlq itself, it continues to work, and will continue to be developed, and it changes nothing for all the new stuff I am working on. (more on that later as there is no plugin alternative for yahoo)

The advantage of xlq supporting multiples sources is that it is easy to switch from one to the other.

The majority of users, who do not use Yahoo, are not impacted, and those who started with free sources and have moved on to use the true streaming realtime feeds due to different issues encountered with yahoo etc. in the past can no doubt confirm the better service and data returned from the remaining day data feeds.

Just to recap, these are

TDAmeritrade – this is primarily for the US market. Their streaming realtime data feed, which includes intraday backfill and realtime options is free for account holders, i.e. no account or data fees (for non-professionals)

IQFeed – covers streaming realtime or delayed US, Canadian , UK, options, futures etc. also includes intraday backfill. The data is top notch, is fairly pricey but is in a class of its own in terms of reliability and support.

Interactivebrokers – requires an account with them and a realtime subscription for the exchanges for which you want data. They provides streaming realtime data and intraday backfill on virtually any market and product worldwide. For many users who work with non US exchanges this is the only choice. It is pricey to fund an account, but data fees are often easily offset against their low commissions.

I have sometimes seen mentioned not wanting to change brokers. But there is no need to change brokers just to use an additional one.

Regards

Leo

RichardH

Change “yahoo” to “TDA”. 

Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:48 AM
To: xlqusers@...
Subject: [xlqusers] =xlqName #N/A

Hi, I am trying to get the name of a security ticker but when in I put in formula =xlqName("msft","yahoo") I get an #N/A. What am I doing wrong? 

sinclairdp@...

Thanks, I tried changing "yahoo” to “TDA” but I then get "Busy..." in the cell

Richard Hill <rich.126@...>

Make sure you read all of the past comments about this issue. There are a variety of reasons why u could be having problems.  Have u signed up for TDA account and completed everything they require.

Have u gone into xlq preferences and selected TDA in 2 places?

From: xlqusers@... on behalf of sinclairdp@... [xlqusers]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:15:28 PM
Subject: RE: [xlqusers] =xlqName #N/A

plconnell@...

I need to ask a question here about the formula.
When did the msft become part of a xlq formula.
I had an old version which is obsolete.
The new version 5.8 I am having an issue with my formula's
My old formula would be =xlqDivPerShare(a4)or=xlqDivPerShare(a4,"yahoo")
I was just giving a formula that is not working on 5.8. The A4 is for the symbol
Are we saying the formula should read =xlqDivPerShare(A4,"msft"<"yahoo")
Missing something

In a message dated 11/22/2017 6:05:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, xlqusers@... writes:

j. van halteren

Hello,

Your formula seems ok (=xlqDivPerShare(a4,"yahoo")). You can refer to the cell A4 or you can put "msft" instead.

Your error has to do with the Yahoo service being terminated. That's why a lot of people went to TDA or IqFeed for data. Although I saw in the help function of XLQ that xlqDivPerShare is not provided by them. Maybe there is someone else on this forum with a solution. 

Greetings.

Best to read the previous comments about this subject in the xlq  group.

Also go into the xlq spreadsheet demo to review the formula.   You do not need to put the data source in the formula if you have put the data source in the xlq preferences.

Sent: Friday, November 24, 2017 6:08:50 AM
Subject: Re: [xlqusers] =xlqName #N/A

I need to ask a question here about the formula.
When did the msft become part of a xlq formula.
I had an old version which is obsolete.
The new version 5.8 I am having an issue with my formula's
My old formula would be =xlqDivPerShare(a4)or=xlqDivPerShare(a4,"yahoo")
I was just giving a formula that is not working on 5.8. The A4 is for the symbol
Are we saying the formula should read =xlqDivPerShare(A4,"msft"<"yahoo")
Missing something

In a message dated 11/22/2017 6:05:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, xlqusers@... writes:

plconnell@...

It appears I'm under the impression yahoo is still a viable source.
I have it set up yahoo for my historic data with TDA giving me my daily data.
I'll go back and read the past comments. Obviously I'm missing something very basic here.
Thanks

In a message dated 11/24/2017 11:43:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, xlqusers@... writes:

Make sure you read all of the past comments about this issue. There are a variety of reasons why u could be having problems.  Have u signed up for TDA account and completed everything they require.

From: xlqusers@... on behalf of sinclairdp@... [xlqusers]

Make sure to review the demo spreadsheet.  There is a worksheet  for historic and another for day formulas.

Make sure to go into the xlq preferences and set the default source for day to TDA and the default source for historic to Yahoo.  Once that is done, you do not have to identify the source in your formulas as the default source will automatically go to those sources.  Then make sure your formulas are for the appropriate day or historic.

Sent: Friday, November 24, 2017 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [xlqusers] =xlqName #N/A

It appears I'm under the impression yahoo is still a viable source.

I have it set up yahoo for my historic data with TDA giving me my daily data.

I'll go back and read the past comments. Obviously I'm missing something very basic here.

Thanks

In a message dated 11/24/2017 11:43:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, xlqusers@... writes:

From: xlqusers@... <xlqusers@...> on behalf of sinclairdp@... [xlqusers] <xlqusers@...>