Topics

Yaesu's FT-60R - STILL a Benchmark ...

Clint Bradford

bench·mark
1. a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared or assessed.
--------------------------
The Yaesu FT-60R is still a GREAT value for anyone looking for a solid 2M/440 handheld.
The FT-60R debuted at Dayton in 2004. It was a great bargain then - and remains so today.
Among its features ...

-1,000 memories

-receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig

-large, legible display

-easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet at k6lcs.com)

-bulletproof case design*

-strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market

-great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25
AA case with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have full TX power
available (if you really need it).

NONE of the crop of cheap imported HTs comes close to the ease of
use and quality and construction of the FT-60R.

No, the '60R is not a true, full-duplex radio - defined as being able to
hear one band while transmitting on another. Although NOT mandatory,
it is the preferred method to work the FM voice birds. But only one
single HT currently manufactured does that well in both U/V and V/U
modes: the Kenwood TH-D72a.

But for the $400 price of the TH-D72a by itself, one could purchase
an FT-60R, Arrow Antenna, and one of the more-reliable (with a US
warranty and support) Baofeng units at Amazon - http://a.co/6D5WZ8h

In this scenario, use the FT-60R's superior receiver, and the UV-5R V2+
as your transmitter.

Just tossing out ideas for you ...

- Clint Bradford K6LCS

*- OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my audiences
have seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations
to show that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though.

  1.

AF7ZA

I agree about the FT60. I’ve used mine several times for Xbanding with my FT8800. Odd splits weren’t that hard to do at all. Plus I bought a Heil HTH-Y boom headset that works well except for the ear piece. I wish there was a way to hack it and install a speaker that covers the entire ear. Lastly, the import clones lack reliability. Why waste the money.

Bill AF7ZA

Jer W

Edited

Hi Clint,
Some of the local guys are using are using the FT-60R.
I have the TH-D72A and love it for the duplex receiver for the SATS
and so many other features. I was not worried about the price, I
wanted quality. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Clint Bradford

The D-72A is, indeed, a great rig. Enjoy min e ... not using all its
functions (grin) ...

But I still want hams to know they do NOT need to spend that
much to get in to the world of amateur satellites --- but you
know where I'm coming from ...

Clint

Siegfried Jackstien

hello clint

ft470 by yaesu also does full duplex

and is easy to setup

dg9bfc sigi

Am 11.06.2018 um 13:58 schrieb Clint Bradford:

[...]

The '470 ... and that wonderful '530 ... wonderful memories ...

Pun intended.

There are some long-discontinued full-duplex HTs that many are using
for the sats, like (not an all-inclusive list) the
Icom IC-W32 and IC-W32a,
Kenwood
TH-D7 and TH-D79, and Yaesu’s FT-470/FT-51/FT-530 models.

There may be others ... but I’d hate to see you spend a bunch of money
on really old units with no warranties and fewer repair options and
decreasing availability of battery packs!

Just got an email ...

YES - One could purchase two of the more-reliable "inexpensive" Baofengs ...

(But there are more unscrupulous merchants/dealers selling Baofengs than I
could find reputable, responsible ones. Read ALL "actual purchaser" reviews!)

... and build a Tape Measure antenna - and get in to the birds for less than $100 ...

Tape measure antenna plans - Antenna Plans