Topics

Yaesu FT 530 and the birds

John Derbabian

I am looking for someone who has excellent knowledge of this HT. I have been using one now for several months hooked to an Arrow and have not been able to make any contacts. I have gone through what I believe to be all the settings, but don't seem to be keying up the birds. I would like to review the settings with someone that knows this HT. Email dialogue may work best.

John
KE8JBR@...

Clint Bradford

Info from Drew KD4TWJ ...

Have you tried programming a memory on the VHF side with a custom offset?  I have done that before when wanting to work cross band through my mobile rig.  The way I do it is I program a memory on the VHF side with the UHF Rx frequency that I want to hear, in your case the Rx frequency for the bird.  Then, in VFO mode (still on the VHF side) tune to the VHF Tx frequency and save that as a custom offset for the memory location of the Rx frequency.  Sort of like setting up a repeater in a memory, except with a custom Tx offset instead of a "shift".  You can leave the UHF side of radio blank, or tuned elsewhere if you like.

There is a specific button sequence for setting a custom offset. Once you have the Rx frequency saved in a memory, and you have the Tx frequency tuned in the VFO, hold the Function button in until you see the memory location number flashing, just like you would if you were going to save the frequency there. Next, press and hold the PTT (will not transmit while the memory location number is flashing) and then tap the Function button again. Release the PTT and it should be done.  You can verify by changing the display to the memory that you saved for UHF Rx.  You should see both the + and - offset symbols listed for that memory now. when you press the reverse button, you should see the VHF Tx frequency.

Hope this helps.

Dean  KD4TWJ

John Derbabian

I don't think it has much to do about memory offsets as it does with basic settings, like CTCSS, offsets, tones, etc. Really all the basic settings. I know most use 67.0, but is that on both TX and RCV? I know if I TX on the uplink, I should hear myself on the downlink but that's not happening.

--
73's

John M. Derbabian
KE8JBR

Clint Bradford

That may be it - OPEN TONE on Receive on ‘em all!!!