From: Work-Sat@groups.io <Work-Sat@groups.io> on behalf of John St. John <johnthesaintjohn@...>
Sent: 17 February 2021 18:53
To: Work-Sat@groups.io <Work-Sat@groups.io>
Subject: [Work-Sat] Which SMA/BNC connectors do people use now for Kenwood TH-D72?

Hi There,
I have a Kenwood TH-D72, and an Arrow II antenna. I’m trying my luck with the SMA-BNC connector that is sold along with the signal stick antenna, which looks like the diamond adapter minus the rubber sleeve on the outside of the bottom portion, and it’s $4 so not a huge risk if it doesn’t turn out to be wide enough. Assuming that doesn’t work out, what do people use nowadays? I saw an old post on this from 2010 that mentions "Stephen's Model # BGA-76 will fit your Kenwood TH-D72A radio perfectly”. But I’m not sure how/if you can still get those easily, or if people are using different ones now?

The other question I have is around connectors that have a rotating hinge. When I bought my arrow antenna, and purchased their $7 BNC/SMA adapter alongside it. Their adapter is super narrow at the base, and seems to transfer a lot of the side-to-side strain from the cable to the SMA plug, which I don’t like. One feature that was nice about it though is that it has a rotating hinge so it’s easy to rotate the radio as I’m flailing around with the antenna looking for a signal (I’m pretty new at this :). I noticed that the rotating hinge was getting some pretty heavy use. To get at something similar I found a BNC Female to BNC Male adapter on amazon that has a rotating hinge in it, which I was planning on attaching to the arrow and leaving there, since it seems like the Gulyas and similar adapters do not have this rotating property.

Thanks for your tips!

Best,
John

Clint Bradford

Mr Gulyas has long retired - from his professional life, and from making these wonderful adapters for us.

I will ask around ... and see if you can find the Facebook group that Don Arnold hangs out in - he will know!

Paul AC9O

I found these on Amazon, support at the base. Work well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVQL14A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DHT Electronics 2pcs RF coaxial Coax Adapter SMA Male to BNC Female goldplated

73,
Paul, AC9O

KC9REN

Edited

Hello, I would highly suggest you look for an SMA to BNC cable adapter to take the strain from the coax off of the connector on your Kenwood TH-D72. These cable adapters usually use a coax such as RG-174 which is very flexible.

AF7ZA

And there is this. From Diamond Antenna website.

Bill AF7ZA

On Mar 2, 2021, at 1:27 57PM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Mr Gulyas has long retired - from his professional life, and from making these wonderful adapters for us.

I will ask around ... and see if you can find the Facebook group that Don Arnold hangs out in - he will know!

Marcelo Bornscheuer - W6EUH

Just wanted to share that Mr. Gulyas still makes his wonderful adapters. He replied to my email very quickly, and I am ordering a few adapters right now.

73,
Marcelo W6EUH