Topics

What's the BEST HT? - General Inquiries

Clint Bradford

I am receiving a bunch of emails and messages and telephone calls - and a lot of
Facebook inquiries - wanting to know what the BEST HT is ...

Of course, there is no universally proper answer. MY "first" HTs were a pair of
Standard C-288a units. Yes - 220-only radios. BUT - they did exactly what I
needed from them at that time (American Red Cross work, and accessing
several other 220 repeaters in my region).

SO ... I smile when I see ANYONE try to answer, "What's the BEST?" - when
they haven't asked, "What is popular in YOUR region?" And if the questioner
doesn't know what is going on, they need to be referred to a local club's
Web site for LOCAL info. One of the best resources for club info is the "Club
Search" link at http://www.arrl.org - plug in your Zip Code and find quality
clubs nearby. MOST have links to Web sites - especially important now that
many clubs are not conducting "regular" meetings.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, if one determines they want a solid, proven 2M/440
FM HT, the Yaesu FT-60R is one whose feature set remains un-matched in
the amateur radio industry. Here's my "canned" reply ...

The Yaesu FT-60R is a GREAT value for anyone looking for a solid 2M/440 handheld. The FT-60R debuted at Dayton in 2004. It was a great bargain then - and remains so today. Among its features ...

-1,000 memories

-receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig (even AM air)

-large, legible display

-easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet at k6lcs dot com)

-bulletproof case design*

-strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market

-great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25 AA case with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have full TX power available! NOTHING from Baofeng comes close to the ease of use and quality and construction.

- Clint Bradford K6LCS

*- OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my audiences have seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations to show that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though. Send email or call (909) 999-SATS with any questions!

/end/

Jer W

Clint,
Kenwood TH-D72A best HT.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 6:48:31 PM EDT, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

I am receiving a bunch of emails and messages and telephone calls - and a lot of
Facebook inquiries - wanting to know what the BEST HT is ...

Of course, there is no universally proper answer. MY "first" HTs were a pair of
Standard C-288a units. Yes - 220-only radios. BUT - they did exactly what I
needed from them at that time (American Red Cross work, and accessing
several other 220 repeaters in my region).

SO ... I smile when I see ANYONE try to answer, "What's the BEST?" - when
they haven't asked, "What is popular in YOUR region?" And if the questioner
doesn't know what is going on, they need to be referred to a local club's
Web site for LOCAL info. One of the best resources for club info is the "Club
Search" link at http://www.arrl.org - plug in your Zip Code and find quality
clubs nearby. MOST have links to Web sites - especially important now that
many clubs are not conducting "regular" meetings.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, if one determines they want a solid, proven 2M/440
FM HT, the Yaesu FT-60R is one whose feature set remains un-matched in
the amateur radio industry. Here's my "canned" reply ...

The Yaesu FT-60R is a GREAT value for anyone looking for a solid 2M/440 handheld. The FT-60R debuted at Dayton in 2004. It was a great bargain then - and remains so today. Among its features ...

-1,000 memories

-receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig (even AM air)

-large, legible display

-easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet at k6lcs dot com)

-bulletproof case design*

-strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market

-great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25 AA case with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have full TX power available! NOTHING from Baofeng comes close to the ease of use and quality and construction.

- Clint Bradford K6LCS

*- OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my audiences have seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations to show that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though. Send email or call (909) 999-SATS with any questions!

/end/

Clint Bradford

>> ... Kenwood TH-D72A best HT.

Only currently manufactured HT that does V/U and U/V true full-duplex well? Absolutely.

But the '72 adds a lot more modes - and is in a different class ... (MY rules ... (g))

Same number of memories. '72 has EIGHT character alphanumerics, vs. SIX on the '60.

Properly maintained, the battery pack for the '72 will last about ONE-THIRD the number of discharge-charge cycles as the '60's NiMH pack.

FT-60R has much greater receive range.

Only 2W TX power with optional BT-15 AA case on the '72. And you can NOT use NiMH
in the BT - according to Kenwood manual - page 2.

The FT-60R is an amazing HT ...

Clint

Tim L

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 05:05 PM, Clint Bradford wrote:
Kenwood TH-D72A
Hi Clint, you seem to be the HT GURU. i just picked up a Icom IC-Z1a but unfortunately the seller misrepresented the radio and when I got it the radio had intermittent problems. i sent it out to a repair tech and I am waiting on the result. Anyway with your vast experience with HT's do you think the Z1a is a good full duplex option? I enjoy working the FM birds and currently use one of my 817's and a Arrow II but i would like to try full duplex. I could add my 2nd 817 to the mix bt i think that would just complicate things. I also have a Kenwood V71A that i have dedicated to being a Echolink node but could put that in play as well ( that would not be much larger of a total package than the 817). SO if my new Z1a icomes back repaired do you think i should use that as my full duples radio or maybe the D772?

Clint Bradford

I remember the Z1 working well on SO-50 - with its 440 downlink and 2M uplink ...

Definitely try the Z1 when it comes back - I would hate to see you purchase a new Kenwood TH-D72a just for a couple FM satellites!

Clint

Jer W

Thanks Clint, but I am not familiar with the Z1.
Jerry...W8RQM