Topics

What’s out there for “portable” SSB satellite work?

z_ kevino <z_kevino@...>

Let me define my desired definition of portable, because I know many of you will say a pair of 817 or even one plus an SDR, and that may be the answer but here is my use case.

I want to be able to drive to a park, open the tailgate of my jeep, and be able to take an arrow or elk antenna in my hand, and power on the laptop to do the Doppler shift. I would not like to have to have a very large rig like the Kenwood 2000 or the Icom 9100. The important thing for me is I would like to use the laptop to do the Doppler shift and basically keep one hand free to move the VFO and squeeze the PTT, and the other hand on the antenna to track.

I’m open to all ideas, but with the emphasis that I really don’t have the patience for moving VFOs to play with Doppler all of the time, and in this day and age, I would think programs could do this with ease, even if there were two simplex radios, with one radio on one comm port and another on another comm port...

thanks for your suggestions.

-Kevin (KK4YEL)

Brad Smith

I do similar from my van. I use a Yaesu 847 (full Duplex) connected to either Antennas-us quadrifiler helix antennas, and/or a DX Engineering eggbeater antenna, both set on the van roof. Since these antennas are omnidirectional, one hand keys the mic and the other tunes the radio for Doppler shift. About as simple as one can get.

KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

On Jul 4, 2018, at 7:45 AM, z_ kevino <z_kevino@...> wrote:

[...]

Fred Hillhouse

I am working towards a Raspberry Pi (Gpredict, hamlib), tablet, FT857D  for a small multi-use station.

I haven’t started the RPi system yet, but I have working a Windows station running:

1.       Gpredict (along with the normal satellite stuff, it will control a radio)

2.       hamlib (for connecting to my FT857D)

3.       SDR# (for my RTL-SDR)

4.       RX-SSTV for decoding SSTV (will likely use something else soon)

5.       VB-Cable (connects SDR# and RX-SSTV through a virtual audio cable)

6.       RTL-SDR

7.       FT857D

This is the configuration I am learning with. I don’t have a good antenna yet for this learning station but it will added eventually.

You might refer to the various videos by OH8STN. He is working on a man portable using an FT-891, RPi and Android table.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

[...]

Thanks for the help in understanding your setup.
I really don’t understand the lack of new models of radios that are duplex, SSB, all mode for satellite. Most also have HF, are designs 15-20 years old, and are quite non-portable.
I was holding out for the new Icom that was to replace the 910 but that hasn’t been even seen since Tokyo last year. Not a word at Orlando, nor Dayton.
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Kevin,

Put together a system, it doesn't have to be fancy, work the heck out of it showing it off as much as possible and maybe more people will become involved. When the number of people increase that want it, then, maybe a manufacturer will jump in and build it. Until, why would a manufacturer jump in and make a product very few are clamoring for?

Last night I was sitting on my deck with my D72 in my hand. I noticed SO-50 was about to go overhead (if 20-30deg max can be considered overhead). Since I had the HT programmed up already, I decided I would try to at least hear something. I had to think about my key presses. I had to switch bands to keep the RX frequency current. Then switch back to the TX frequency so I could potential talk. I didn't talk since I didn't have an earpiece and I was running in duplex mode. All the while I had to keep the antenna situated which watching my phone satellite display. It was interesting. I can see I need some practice.

With two single band HTs, only one knob needs twisting and one one PTT needs pressing. It won't get much easier than that!

Yeah, the FT817 isn't ideal, neither is my FT857. But both are quick usable!

BTW, I am sure I was hearing someone in FM05 (Raleigh, NC) trying to make a contact. I wish I have a pad of paper, then I would remember the call sign. Maybe next time I will be the contact from FN42!

I have to applaud Clint! He has been a satellite evangelist for a long time! As any type of evangelist will tell you, every movement begins slowly, I hope he continues for as long as he can as well!

I do have a pair of Yagi's (2M and 70CM) for satellite. They have been in storage for close to 10 years waiting on me to put together an AZ/EL rotor. They are beasts! I have tower sections waiting for planting. If I wait until everything is perfect then I won't be having any fun in the meantime. I am actually considering getting rid of it all since I really want to focus on "kayak" portable! If it is kayak portable, then I know it is good enough for my 4Runner and pop-up camping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXYdsdqDkW4&feature=youtu.be

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH