Topics

Try AO-85 Again ...

Clint Bradford

Control operators have activated AO-85 ... but it is not behaving
entirely as desired.

Try to work it - and please report (here is fine - I'll pass your reports
along to the control team) your experiences.

Clint Bradford

From AMSAT-NA earlier this week ...

AO-85 Update: Do Not Access While in
Eclipse The auto Safe mode was disabled on June 24 and the transponder was turned on. A few
QSOs were made to verify that it would drop with inactivity. Currently, the battery voltage is very low and it looks like a cell is prepared to
give up the ghost. Please do not use the
satellite while it is in eclipse, even if
you hear it. Operations is not sure what will be usable if and when this cell
fails ...

Clint Bradford

Do NOT attempt to work ‘85 when it is in eclipse - even if you do hear it. (From AMSAT last week.)

Floyd Bixler

I saw that the DK3WN sat database is showing AO-85 as inactive.  Is this the last word?

DA1VF/WD8DUP, Floyd

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019, 19:51 Clint Bradford via Groups.Io, <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Do NOT attempt to work ‘85 when it is in eclipse - even if you do hear it. (From AMSAT last week.)

Clint Bradford

Do NOT attempt to work ‘85 when it is in eclipse - even if you do hear it. (From AMSAT last week, and this week.)

Jer W

Clint,
What may be a good indication that the AO-85 is in the eclipse?

Jerry

On Friday, July 19, 2019, 3:45:57 PM EDT, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Do NOT attempt to work ‘85 when it is in eclipse - even if you do hear it. (From AMSAT last week, and this week.)

Clint Bradford

It is the phase in which the satellite doesn't receive the sunlight to recharge itself through the solar cells that in turn reduces the power of the satellite to transmit/receive signals from the earth station.

Is that helpful?

Jer W

Hi Clint,
I figured that is what was happening during the eclipse.
Thanks.

Jerry