Tape Measure Yagi

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

With Southern California under STORM WATCH again earlier this week (we were expecting at least 0.03" of precipitation), I decided to build one of those cheap "tape measure 2M Yagi" antennas from plans seen all over the Web.

I mean, I mention them during my satellite presentations as an affordable entry into high-gain ... I have a couple links on my Work-Sat Web site for plans ... I can see in theory where they should work - but I've never built one myself.

So I stuck the PVC pipes together ... soldered the matching element ... straightened it all out, and took it outside for a test.

OH MY GAWD.

This is something that EVERY ham should do. What a dramatic increase in a handheld's performance a couple dollars' worth of stuff can accomplish! I heard a NOAA WX station (technically, out of range for this 2M Yagi) in San Diego that I have never heard from the house before. Every repeater of the six I immediately hit were received more clearly than with even the best of HT antennas ... and as good or better than my Cushcraft A148-3S (retailing for sixty bucks).

Plans at the regular site ...

http://www.work-sat.com

And if you click on PHOTOS on the top menu, there's a couple photos of the finished project.

Clint