From: Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...>
To: Work-Sat@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 1, 2022 4:49 pm
Subject: [Work-Sat] SSTV from NEW Kenwood Aboard ISS!

Cosmonauts on the #ISS will be conducting an MAI #SSTV experiment on June 8-9. The mode is expected to be PD120 on 145.800 MHz FM.

This will be first time new D710GA in Service Module has been used for SSTV

June 8: 09:45-15:00 GMT
June 9: 08:35-16:15 GMT

-AMSAT-UK

Max Becker

Thanks for the heads-up.  I've been wondering when they were going to start sending SSTV pics again.  So, what radio were they using before?  I thought they were always using the D710GA.

Clint Bradford

This will be first time new D710GA in Service Module has been used for SSTV ... Part Two of the 10-part InterOperable Radio System!

N0BML

As is usual when the cosmonauts and MAI run these experiments the ISS will not be above the horizon at my QTH. Has anyone found a good web SDR that is on the right side of the planet to capture these transmissions?

Thanks! 73 de N0BML

Clint Bradford

>> ... darn them - another Russian-centric project ...

But we DO have a couple global SSTV events annually ...

And I'll be monitoring when scheduled to be OFF, just in case someone forgets to flip the switch!

And we should all be celebrating this new Kenwood rig - Part Two of ARISS' 10-piece IORS for us and the ISd.

An MAI-75 Experiment Event Update:

Here is an update on new times for MAI-75 operations as of 6/7/2022 at 1:44 pm ET:

June 8 – Setup and activation between 09:35-10:15 UTC. Stop about 14:20 UTC

June 9 – Start about 08:40 UTC. Conclusion of experiment about 16:20 UTC

Clint Bradford

Just a reminder - this SSTV experiment is the first for this radio - which is the second part of
ARISS' 10-part inter-operabilty series of "pieces" of ham gear for amateur radio enthusiasts to enjoy!

From ARISS -

This second system enables dual, simultaneous operations, (e.g., voice repeater and APRS packet), providing diverse opportunities for radio amateurs. It also provides on-orbit redundancy to ensure continuous operations in the event of an IORS component failure.

Next-gen development efforts continue. For the IORS, parts are being procured and a total of ten systems are being fabricated to support flight, additional flight spares, ground testing and astronaut training. Follow-on next generation radio system elements include an L-band repeater uplink capability, currently in development, and a flight Raspberry-Pi, dubbed “ARISS-Pi,” that is just beginning the design phase.  The ARISS-Pi promises operations autonomy and enhanced SSTV operations.

ARISS is run almost entirely by volunteers, and with the help of generous contributions from ARISS sponsors and individuals. Donations to the ARISS program for next generation hardware developments, operations, education, and administration are welcome -- please go to https://www.ariss.org/donate.html to contribute to these efforts.

Clint

KC9REN

The correct URL is: https://www.ariss.org/ and click on Donate. The URL given produces "Error 404 Page not found"
Dean

Clint Bradford

THANK YOU!

Floyd Bixler

This is just too cool.  Shows another part of Amateur Radio that we need to make sure the younger generation know about.  Much better than Instagram or (Yuck!) Tik Tok.  Wish that Musk would get in on the game and plan for ham radio on his Skyliners (or whatever it's called now).  Imagine a manned ham radio station to the moon and back ....

Haven't picked up any SSTV from the new equipment yet but will be monitoring as much as possible.  Still need a couple of pix for my Argentina Diploma.

Floyd DA1VF/WD8DUP

On 08-Jun-22 06:21, Clint Bradford via groups.io wrote:
Just a reminder - this SSTV experiment is the first for this radio - which is the second part of
ARISS' 10-part inter-operabilty series of "pieces" of ham gear for amateur radio enthusiasts to enjoy!

From ARISS -