SO-50, SO-50, Where Art Thou SO-50 ...

Mike Jensen (ZL4IA)

Tips please on how to reliably work SO-50. I have not heard it here in ZL, is there a beacon?

I understand the bird has to be armed before use, how does one do this?

I am using an Icom ID-51A Plus2 with 5W and a Diamond SRH770S antenna.

Please bear with me. I had such good results with AO-91 here in ZL and could work it reliably with a 5W HT and it's stock duckie antenna.
Since it's demise I have tried PO-101 (can hear it's CW beacon) and SO-50 (silent). I miss AO-91, such a great beacon with the female voice.

Thanks
Mike
ZL4IA

John St. John

I worked SO-50 for the first time following the tips and settings for my radio in the TH-D72A folder http://dropbox.wd9ewk.net/ 

On Feb 18, 2021, 4:40 PM -0800, Mike Jensen (ZL4IA) <mikejensencomputing@...>, wrote:
Tips please on how to reliably work SO-50. I have not heard it here in ZL, is there a beacon?

Please bear with me. I had such good results with AO-91 here in ZL and could work it reliably with a 5W HT and it's stock duckie antenna.
Since it's demise I have tried PO-101 (can hear it's CW beacon) and SO-50 (silent). I miss AO-91, such a great beacon with the female voice.

Thanks
Mike
ZL4IA

Paul R. Stoetzer

Mike,

You need to transmit a 74.4 Hz tone for 2 seconds to activate SO-50. Then it’s active for 10 minutes and can be accessed using the 67.0 Hz tone.

If you’re in an RF noisy environment, SO-50 is going to be tough to hear with a whip. I did work SO-50 from horizon to horizon with that same antenna out on a beach overlooking Lake Michigan once, but ideally you’d use a directional antenna. Here in the center of Washington, DC, I cannot hear SO-50 at all with any sort of whip antenna.

Paul, N8HM 

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 19:40 Mike Jensen (ZL4IA) <mikejensencomputing@...> wrote:

Thanks
Mike
ZL4IA

padmanabhan cattamanchi

You will need a Arrow 8 el UHF and 3 el vhf to work SO50.The downlink from the sat is less than 100 mw 73s de VU2PEP

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021, 08:23 Paul R. Stoetzer <N8HM@...> wrote:
Mike,

You need to transmit a 74.4 Hz tone for 2 seconds to activate SO-50. Then it’s active for 10 minutes and can be accessed using the 67.0 Hz tone.

If you’re in an RF noisy environment, SO-50 is going to be tough to hear with a whip. I did work SO-50 from horizon to horizon with that same antenna out on a beach overlooking Lake Michigan once, but ideally you’d use a directional antenna. Here in the center of Washington, DC, I cannot hear SO-50 at all with any sort of whip antenna.

Paul, N8HM 

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 19:40 Mike Jensen (ZL4IA) <mikejensencomputing@...> wrote:

Thanks
Mike
ZL4IA

Randy Schulze

I have worked SO-50 very successfully and very often with an Arrow II LEO hand held antenna. 

SO-50 may not be the most simple satellite to work, but it is certainly not the most difficult either. 

Have fun!

Randy Schulze
KDØHKD
Kansas City, Missouri
Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8. Samsung Galaxy S8.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/18/21 21:32 (GMT-06:00)
To: Work-Sat@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Work-Sat] SO-50, SO-50, Where Art Thou SO-50 ...

You will need a Arrow 8 el UHF and 3 el vhf to work SO50.The downlink from the sat is less than 100 mw 73s de VU2PEP

Mike,

Paul, N8HM 

Thanks
Mike
ZL4IA

David Spoelstra

I work SO-50 almost every day with an Arrow and a 5W HT. I only had to turn the timer on one time and that was about 4am EST local and I was the only person on the bird. All the other times it was already being actively used by multiple hams.
-David, N9KT

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 11:34 PM Randy Schulze <randy@...> wrote:
I have worked SO-50 very successfully and very often with an Arrow II LEO hand held antenna. 

SO-50 may not be the most simple satellite to work, but it is certainly not the most difficult either. 

Have fun!

Randy Schulze
KDØHKD
Kansas City, Missouri
Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8. Samsung Galaxy S8.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/18/21 21:32 (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [Work-Sat] SO-50, SO-50, Where Art Thou SO-50 ...

Mike,

Paul, N8HM 

Thanks
Mike
ZL4IA

Mike Jensen (ZL4IA)

How very interesting and thanks for the replies.

I understand that 50 is a weak signal unit and that a yagi antenna will cut the mustard.

However that's outside my effort budget and I really don't want to be taking my dog for a walk carrying a yagi and 
waving it around at an invisible UFO lol. I did so enjoy AO-91 with a simple antenna and was able to work ZL and VK 
easily and it was so darn cool!!!

Cheers and 73s
Mike
ZL4IA

padmanabhan cattamanchi

you can HB a Arrow, I use a Arrow to listen to the RS44  de VU2PEP costed less than 10 dollars

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021, 04:14 Mike Jensen (ZL4IA) <mikejensencomputing@...> wrote:
How very interesting and thanks for the replies.

I understand that 50 is a weak signal unit and that a yagi antenna will cut the mustard.

However that's outside my effort budget and I really don't want to be taking my dog for a walk carrying a yagi and 
waving it around at an invisible UFO lol. I did so enjoy AO-91 with a simple antenna and was able to work ZL and VK 
easily and it was so darn cool!!!

Cheers and 73s
Mike
ZL4IA