Topics

Satellite Files for Kenwood TH-D72A

Les Rayburn

A couple of list members attempted to help me get my Kenwood TH-D72 memory programmed for satellite operation two weeks ago. Unfortunately, neither file that I received would work.

I’m using the Kenwood MCP-4 software to program the radio, and have done so successfully for local repeaters.

One of the files I received was from a European ham, and the software would not load the file—generating an error that said the file was “out of market” which I took to mean it would not work with the North American version of the software. In other words, files for the D-72E won’t work when trying to program a D-72A.

The other file was a .CSV file that could not be converted successfully.

If someone is using a Kenwood TH-D72A and would be willing to share their MCP-4 file contains the current FM satellites, I’d be most grateful. I’ll be in EM62 and EM61 this weekend, and would love to activate them.

Also is there a “how to guide” about best practices for using the Kenwood TH-D72 with satellites? The software will not allow you to operate “split” frequency between two bands (V/U) so I assume you have to put the uplink on one side (A) and downlink on the other (B)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR2, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD, Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1, Ray Dees RDS Decoders,
Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

mm0bef@...

i used to work sats on my d7. Ill look my archives and if i can find anything of use ill send it to u.
73 De Brian MM0BEF

Darn, Les ... I included some of your destination city files in that csv for you ... it should have imported to CHIRP ...

I just sent you you a datafile straight from the Kenwood program.

mchenryproj

If it's a CSV file you can open it in most spreadsheet programs. I doubt there are that many lines that you couldn't open the spreadsheet and your pgm software side by side and manually type them in. I've done similar in the past.

Sean
KB8JNE

Sent from my dumb smartphone.
Spell checked by the NSA.

n0kk@...

Les and others..
I too just bought the D72 and an ELK antenna to get on the birds from various grids as we travel.
Im also having a bit of a time getting memories to configure.
If you have had success, or were sent a file to load in MCP-4a program Id love to have a look.
Thank you..Kirk N0KK