Topics

Rambling ...

Clint Bradford

Watching Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) and Scott Kelly (astronaut) discuss life on
the Yuri's Night celebration online.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTXtw5pvjr0

My contribution to "life" today? "Don't purchase cheap HDMI cables."

Troubleshooting a "flickering screen" problem with a Raspberry Pi 3
setup. Screen was flickering. Couldn't access settings on it, with all
the flickering. Tried getting in to Samsung monitor's settings, re-boots,
all sorts of stuff.

It was a bad HDMI cable. Swapped it - and all is perfect. Old cable destroyed.

No more bargain basement "deals" - but not Monster(tm)-priced, either. Find
a reputable source ...

Back to self-isolation ...

Clint

Ken Campbell

Hi Clint,

THAT is golden advice! I’ve run into much the same issue with cheap audio cables used on a RIGblaster Pro setup. Picked up stray RF, as my antennas are close to my radio desk. Replacement with quality cables fixed the problem.

After this is all over I hope you will be able to give your presentation to the GOTAHams club. I’ve had the privilege to see your SAT demo a couple of times over the years and always enjoy it!

Cheers!
--
All the best,
Ken Campbell

Jer W

Ken,
Just curious while reading your e-mail to Clint. Did to use Monster cables
to solve your problem? If not then what? I am still in the process of setting
up a lot of things for my station including the low bands and the SATS.
Thanks,

Jerry...W8RQM

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 10:35:57 AM EDT, Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

Hi Clint,

THAT is golden advice! I’ve run into much the same issue with cheap audio cables used on a RIGblaster Pro setup. Picked up stray RF, as my antennas are close to my radio desk. Replacement with quality cables fixed the problem.

After this is all over I hope you will be able to give your presentation to the GOTAHams club. I’ve had the privilege to see your SAT demo a couple of times over the years and always enjoy it!

Cheers!
--
All the best,
Ken Campbell
N6PCD

Brad Smith

I get my cables from monoprice.com. Never had a problem.  Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Apr 12, 2020, at 9:38 AM, Jer W <jplanner@...> wrote:

[...]

Jer,

I purchased some good quality 1/8” audio cables from Radio Shack. Yeah, that was a while back! The shielding on my junk box cables apparently wasn’t very good. It does pay to spend a couple of extra bucks for good cables.

I'm unfamiliar with Monster brand cables used in an RF environment, but I’m sure they’d work well. Cost isn’t bad. Take a look on Amazon, there’s a big selection of cables there. Only thing I don’t like about the one offered there is the length: 8 feet. Maybe they sell a shorter one. It’s best to use the shortest cable that will do the job.

Cheers! 😁
--
All the best,
Ken Campbell

N0BML

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 07:14:08AM -0700, Ken Campbell wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with Monster brand cables used in an RF environment...
Ken and all,

I think some might not know the legend of Monster and their cables.
They were known in the home theater world for overcharging for basic
cables and promising all kinds of physically impossible magic.

The same for LightSpeed USB cables that promised 10 gigabit transfer
rates for USB 2.0 which at most supports 480 megabit speed.

73 de N0BML

--
Brendan Leber, NØBML
Auburn, WA USA CN87vh