Topics

Question about getting into the Sats

Paul AC9O

Hi All,

I am a newbie at this and having a bunch of fun. But today, I had problems getting into a couple of satellites.

The first 2 attempts resulted in no contact at all. Did not hear myself at all (full duplex) but heard other stations fine. These were for AO-91 and AO-92. One was a low pass the other went almost directly overhead.

Then I tried PO-101 a little later. This pass had a max elevation of only 13 degrees but I was able to get 3 contacts and hear myself fine for perhaps half of the pass. (at least when I wasn't getting stepped on!)

I double checked frequencies and shifts, checked my equipment and it all seems ok. I was able to hit local repeaters, even on extra low power on my TH-D72A and the Arrow pointing away, so I think it's getting out.

What other factors can affect this? I have been pretty successful and have 96 grids in just the past month. So something is working right.

Are some days just better than others for handhelds? I feel like I am missing something simple here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

73,
Paul, AC9O

Edward Maikranz

Not sure about your issues with AO-91 but AO-92 is currently in L/V mode. If you werent transmitting on 1.2ghz you would not get in.
Ed
KG5UN

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 2:43 PM Paul AC9O <pphiliphome@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I keep forgetting about 92. With the holiday, I was off by a day!

However, there are still days when getting into the birds is rough and I was looking for insights as to what to look for.

I will put a Post-It on my forehead about 92.

Post-It Note Are My Friends!

73,
Paul, AC9O

Roger Hackler

Did you have the tones set for the satellites?

On May 27, 2020, at 15:43, Paul AC9O <pphiliphome@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, the tones and freqs are all in memory presets and I have worked all these FM birds before.

Thanks and 73
Paul, AC9O