Quadrifilar 2 meter antenna

Chuck Freeman <w0cbf@...>

I am looking to buy a 2 meter Quadrifilar antenna. I have found some for the weather satellites but none for 2 meters. Construction of one is out of the question since I am handicapped .please let me know of anyone that sells these antennas. You can email me directly at w0cbf@... if desired. A used or homemade one would not be out of the question. 73's Chuck W0CBF

Clint Bradford

Don't have a source for you immediately ... But I'd like to now how this design
caught you eye and interest!?

Clint

Siegfried Jackstien

Outch... Better build one
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 27.01.2021 22:24 schrieb David Spoelstra <davids@...>:

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Chuck Freeman via groups.io <w0cbf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am looking to buy a 2 meter Quadrifilar antenna. I have found some for the weather satellites but none for 2 meters. Construction of one is out of the question since I am handicapped .please let me know of anyone that sells these antennas. You can email me directly at w0cbf@... if desired. A used or homemade one would not be out of the question. 73's Chuck W0CBF

Chuck Freeman <w0cbf@...>

I had used one of these antennas for the LEO Weather stats many years ago with good results. Just want something I can easily mount to work the ham sats.

T W

On 27 Jan 2021, at 16:50, Chuck Freeman via groups.io <w0cbf@...> wrote:

I had used one of these antennas for the LEO Weather stats many years ago with good results. Just want something I can easily mount to work the ham sats.

M0PWX

QFH antennas are easy enough to make, quite a few plans online but they
are fiddly

they are also mainly used for NOAA WX sat reception as they are for
circular polarised signals

an easier antenna to make with similar properties is the turnstile
antenna, also a lot easier to make and tune

peter

2E0PWX

This email has been scanned by iomartcloud.
http://www.iomartcloud.com/

KC9REN

If you take the time to read Chuck's message, he states he is handicapped and making an antenna is out of the question. I found a site that makes QFH antennas and a friend of mine here in Milwaukee, WI has purchased a couple of these and says they seem to work pretty good. Here is a URL link of that site. The other option would be if someone made one for Chuck to use. I see Chuck lives in SHAWNEE MISSION, KS. Anyone near him that could build a QFH or any other antenna he could use to listen to the birds?
https://www.antennas.us/uc-1464-531-vhf-qfh-amateur-satellite-antenna.html
Chuck, look this site over and see what they have to offer.
Dean
KC9REN

M0PWX

appologies Dean,

i missed the fact chuck was not able to build antenna's

peter

2E0PWX

This email has been scanned by iomartcloud.
http://www.iomartcloud.com/

KC9REN

Not a problem. We all tend to skim over sometimes. This was not directed towards you specifically, I was trying to mention to several people at the same time. maybe I didn't do the reply thing at the correct location. My hope is that someone would be able to help Chuck out somehow though or he might be able to purchase a QFH from either the site I suggested or another site that makes and sells QFH antennas.
Dean KC9REN

Stan Musick

Hello,

This QFH Antenna for Satellites is drop-jaw unbelievable,
https://www.antennas.us/store/c/83-Amateur-Radio-Antennas.html

This link below is my recent eHam Review.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=8145

Any questions, please contact me via my Email on QRZ.

 Stan, W5PDQ

Max Becker

I bought a pair of the "Antennas.US" QFH antennas.  The build quality is superb, and cheaper than the equivalent eggbeaters from M2, but performance is omnidirectionally mediocre.  Since I had about a 25 foot run of coax to the antennas I put preamps mounted at the antennas, but still did not get consistent coms through the FM LEO satellites with my IC-9700.  Nothing near the performance of an Elk or Arrow antenna.  It's just the nature of QFH and eggbeater antennas...just no gain.  I believe the QFH will work well with the weather satellites, and I may buy one for that purpose, because the power output of the weather satellites is much greater than the ham LEO satellites. If you do go the route of QFH antennas, I do recommend Antennas.US because of their excellent construction.

Stan Musick

That's a shame Max,

Although I'm located in Central Florida and I've worked stations below 15 degrees; the higher angles of course always get strong.
My past QTH, West of Ft. Worth did nice also during my short trials before moving to FL; the land rolled a bit more in Texas than Florida.
I do use ARR preamps, I'm sure that helps; For the Linear Sats, they've stayed more stable than I expected.

   Best of luck,
  Stan, W5PDQ

Max Becker

I'm in a new QTH now, so maybe I'll unpack my QFH antennas and take another stab at it.  Perhaps they will fare better in the new location.

Clint Bradford

Just a side note to all of this ...

For the FM voice satellites, my $15 tape measure antenna out-performs my $329 M2 Eggbeater - every time.

Even that Eggbeater PLUS a $190 preamp ...

Now, then, this is handheld ops and not a permanent setup.

But please know there are solutions at several "price points" for us.

Clint K6LCS

Max Becker

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I found. The benefit is that you don’t have to re-aim the antenna. But if you can’t connect through the satellite then I don’t know that it’s a benefit.

T W

Has anyone here checked out Sarctrac?