Protocol for working satellites

Tim KW4TIM

Newly licensed and still learning technician class ham here and need assistance with the proper protocol to use when working the satellites. I have the equipment necessary with a Yaesu FT-5DR and Elk antenna. I was successful in working ISS earlier, but it's still not clear to me the proper protocol to use. I phonetically called out my callsign and grid to which the response was other stations saying my grid location EL98. What is the proper response when a station gives your grid location? It's all happening so fast and I would like to respond properly. I've listened to a few recordings others have posted and on the satellite downlink itself, but I'm still a bit confused. If someone could write out a successful QSO from beginning to end that would be very helpful. Apologies in advance if this has already been answered. I've searched the group messages and couldn't find it.

David, N9KT

Here's a typical contact:

-David, N9KT

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM Tim Dobbins <tim.dobbins@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you. So I was doing it correctly. I was just confused because some of the contacts just repeated my grid location without my callsign. Thanks for the response!

73,
Tim, KW4TIM

David, N9KT

They may have heard your grid and needed it but didn't hear your callsign, so they just said your grid. Next time if you hear just your grid, you might try immediately giving your callsign and grid again.
-David, N9KT

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 6:46 PM Tim Dobbins <tim.dobbins@...> wrote:
Thank you. So I was doing it correctly. I was just confused because some of the contacts just repeated my grid location without my callsign. Thanks for the response!

73,
Tim, KW4TIM

Max Becker

Not to confuse the issue, but protocol in the US is not necessarily the same as other parts of the world.  When I was operating in Asia (Korea), it was call sign and city, no grid.  When I tried giving my grid I was advised that grid was not normally part of the transaction.  Um, OK.  Minor adjustment.  I agree with the other poster that the responder repeating your grid probably just didn't catch your call sign and was identifying you by your grid.  Kind of like responding only with part of your call, like TANGO INDIA MIKE instead of KW4TIM.  I do that often myself.

Tim KW4TIM

Thank you everyone for the responses. I made my first verified QSO with WA2ZQX earlier working ISS and responded with his partial call as I didn't catch it all at first. He verified contact which I was happy to hear. I assumed the protocol was universal. Good to know that in some locations callsign and city is used instead of grid. Still new to all this and learning. Almost like learning a foreign language as it seems contacts are made so quickly. I'm getting used to it now so it's easier to listen and respond. Now I need to learn how to record using the FT-5DR so it's one less thing to worry about as I was using my phone to record.