Topics

Operating tips

Arup

Hi All,

I've attached my recording of the ISS pass tonight at 22:39z with a max elevation of 57 degrees from FN01.

A few questions
1. Can anyone offer tips on how to work a "smoother" pass? As you'll notice if you listen to the recording I often can only hear the call or grid, but not both. As such I'm hesitant to key-up and attempt a contact. I do have the doppler shift programmed in to the memory. I start at 437.815 and go down to 437.785 by 0.005 MHZ and I try to follow the path of the pass using SatSat and the compass on my phone.

2. Is the choppiness due to being in a mountainous area? Or are people "stepping" on each other?

Arup
KE8OTP

Clint Bradford

You are doing nothing wrong! Just too many people all at once, and some without proper tone.

Try more “off-peak” hour passes ... More power is NOT the cure!

It will calm down ...

Arup

Thanks for the reassurance. I tried another working a pass on PO101 earlier today (18:25z) and had the same issue so I was beginning to think it was me. My recording of PO101 sounds similar.

David Spoelstra

Off hours is definitely the key. I'm a night owl, so I concentrate on passes from 10pm - 1am. I've been able to make up to six contacts in a pass! During the day, I'm lucky to make one.
-David, N9KT

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Arup <Arup.Mallik@...> wrote:
Thanks for the reassurance. I tried another working a pass on PO101 earlier today (18:25z) and had the same issue so I was beginning to think it was me. My recording of PO101 sounds similar.

David Spoelstra

Arup-
One thing about your recording. Mine always has constant background hiss because my squelch is wide open. When you are working the sats, you should have your squelch wide open.
-David, N9KT

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 7:49 PM Arup <Arup.Mallik@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I've attached my recording of the ISS pass tonight at 22:39z with a max elevation of 57 degrees from FN01.

A few questions
1. Can anyone offer tips on how to work a "smoother" pass? As you'll notice if you listen to the recording I often can only hear the call or grid, but not both. As such I'm hesitant to key-up and attempt a contact. I do have the doppler shift programmed in to the memory. I start at 437.815 and go down to 437.785 by 0.005 MHZ and I try to follow the path of the pass using SatSat and the compass on my phone.

2. Is the choppiness due to being in a mountainous area? Or are people "stepping" on each other?

Arup
KE8OTP

Arup

David,

Yes, I do need to turn the squelch off. I thought it was weird that the Yaseu FT-71 was so quiet with the squelch "off". My baofeng did have the white noise. Somehow I was able to get a good recording of PO101 in the middle of the afternoon over the weekend even with the squelch on!

Turns out I just turned the "squelch threshold level" off. As a new ham I don't fully understand the difference between "squelch" and "squelch threshold level", but turning the "squelch" off will definitely help in my endeavors.

And thank you for the advice.

Arup
KE8OTP