Topics

NROL-71 Update

Clint Bradford

The following is a media update from the United Launch Alliance:

ULA Delta IV Heavy NROL-71 Set to Launch Jan. 19, 2019

(Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. Jan. 15, 2019) – The United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy carrying the NROL-71 mission has been scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 19 from Space Launch Complex-6 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California at 11:05 a.m. PST.

Jer W

Clint,
I heard the other day that another 7 cube SATS have been released into orbit. Were any of these for ham radio?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 4:02:45 PM EST, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

The following is a media update from the United Launch Alliance:

ULA Delta IV Heavy NROL-71 Set to Launch Jan. 19, 2019

(Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. Jan. 15, 2019) – The United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy carrying the NROL-71 mission has been scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 19 from Space Launch Complex-6 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California at 11:05 a.m. PST.

Andy

re: "I heard the other day that another 7 cube SATS have been released into orbit."

I don't want to sound like I'm doubting you -- but I heard that another 7 Iridium satellites (not cube sats) were launched into orbit.  I wonder if one or the other of our stories got them mixed up.  It seems many press stories get passed around so many times, these days, they might get the details wrong.

Andy

Clint Bradford

The following is an L-2 media update from the United Launch Alliance:

Everything is progressing toward the ULA Delta IV Heavy launch carrying the NROL-71 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office. The mission is set to lift off on a Delta IV Heavy rocket on Saturday, Jan. 19 from Space Launch Complex-6 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The forecast calls for a 70 percent chance of favorable weather conditions for launch. The launch time is 11:05 a.m. PST.

Launch Forecast Summary:

Overall probability of violating weather constraints: 30%

Primary concerns: Ground Winds

Overall probability of violating weather constraints for 24 hour delay: 60%

Primary concern: Ground Winds

Launch Broadcast

Live broadcast coverage of launch will begin at 10:45 a.m. PST on Jan.19.

Live launch updates and webcast available at: www.ulalaunch.com

*Note: Satellite frequencies changed from previous attempts

ALL TIMES PACIFIC

SATURDAY, JANUARY 19

BARS + TONE – 10:14 A.M.

PROGRAM START – 10:45 A.M.

LAUNCH – 11:05 A.M

DIGITAL SATELLITE C-BAND DOWNLINK
HD FORMAT
SATELLITE — G3
TRANSPONDER — 2
BAND — C-BAND DIGITAL
ORBITAL POSITION — 95°W
HD BANDWIDTH — 18 MHz (HALF TRANSPONDER)
UPLINK — 5,974.000 MHz (Horizontal)
DOWNLINK — 3,749.000 MHz (Vertical)
SYMBOL RATE — 13
FEC — ¾
DATA RATE — 17.9705
DVBS – QPSK
MPEG 2
AUDIO EMBEDDED

Webcast available at www.ulalaunch.com and www.youtube.com/unitedlaunchalliance

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Clint Bradford

This morning's (January 19) launch of a Delta IV Heavy rocket from Vandenberg AFB appears to be on schedule. The vehicle is slated to leave south base at 11:05 a.m. PST. There is a 70% probability of acceptable weather.

Although the Delta IV Heavy is a massive rocket, I do not expect the launch to be very visible beyond 50 miles. The most visible part of the launch for observers in outlying areas will probably be a short white contrail created when the Delta passes through altitudes of about 30,000 to 35,000 feet.

For countdown status and launch coverage, go to:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/01/19/live-coverage-delta-4-heavy-readied-for-launch-from-vandenberg-air-force-base/

www.ulalaunch.com

www.youtube.com/unitedlaunchalliance

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Jer W

Clint,
Will there be any ham SATS on that launch rocket this morning?
Jerry

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 9:58 AM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io
<clintbradford@...> wrote:
[...]

No amateur birds ... Initially, this was of great interest to the West Coast due to its nighttime visibility - but that, obviously, has changed ...