Topics

Newer Not Always Better

Just talked to a fellow ham who was considering the Yaesu FT-65 HT.

I mean, a radio labelled "65" must be better than a "60," right?

Not necessarily.

The FT-60R has 1,000 memories. The '65 - about 800 less.

The FT-60R receives - essentially - 108-to-a-gig. The '65 receives
136-174 and 400-480.

The included battery pack with the FT-60R - properly charged - will
provide about 1,000 discharge-charge cycles. The pack with the '65?
About 300.

In reading the two manuals for the FT-65, they describe unusual splits
within the same band - but not the capability to program 2M / 440 split
in a memory for working the voice FM satellites.

The FT-60R has the optional FBA-25 AA alkaline case. Populate it with
AA alkalines or AA NiMH cells, and you have full TX power available. No
such accessory s available from Yaesu for the FT-65.

BUT - The FT-65 had an LED flashlight! It will blink our "S O S" for you,
too! And the '65 receives the commercial FM broadcast band ...

The FT-65 is about $120. The FR-60R $136-155.

Greg Lane

Clint,

I originally got an FT-60R based on your recommendation and had success with the FM sats. Then I went through several other radios including a couple that were duplex. I was not having the best of luck with them. Now I am back using the FT-60R and my luck has returned. So if a ham was looking for their first HT, I would say go ahead and get the FT60R since I know it will work well for regular use and for sats.

Thanks,

Greg N4KGL
Panama City, FL

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018, 12:37 PM Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just talked to a fellow ham who was considering the Yaesu FT-65 HT.

I mean, a radio labelled "65" must be better than a "60," right?

Not necessarily.

The FT-60R has 1,000 memories. The '65 - about 800 less.

The FT-65R receives - essentially - 108-to-a-gig. The '65 receives
136-174 and 400-480.

The included battery pack with the FT-60R - properly charged - will
provide about 1,000 discharge-charge cycles. The pack with the '65?
About 300.

In reading the two manuals for the FT-65, they describe unusual splits
within the same band - but not the capability to program 2M / 440 split
in a memory for working the voice FM satellites.

The FT-60R has the optional FBA-25 AA alkaline case. Populate it with
AA alkalines or AA NiMH cells, and you have full TX power available. No
such accessory s available from Yaesu for the FT-65.

BUT - The FT-65 had an LED flashlight! It will blink our "S O S" for you,
too! And the '65 receives the commercial FM broadcast band ...

The FT-65 is about $120. The FR-60R $136-155.

AF7ZA

QST did a review of the FT65. Take it from there. Some have said (can’t site the source), that the FT65 is the Baofeng version of the venerable FT60. For me, radios with flashlights are to be avoided. YMMV.
Bill AF7ZA