Newbie Antenna Question

Bill NF6R CA

Hello,

I'm currently just listening trying to get a feel for how things work.  I'm struggling hearing the entire exchange, like I'm moving the antenna away from the satellite.  This has happened on 7-10 attempts  Everyone makes it seem easy with two UV-5R radios.

I built the KG0ZZ http://www.amateurradio.bz/4_dollar_satellite_antenna.html antenna.  4 elements on 2m, 7 elements on 70 cm.  For radios, I'm listening on a UV-5R and intend to transmit on an FT3DR, but I can swap if needed.

These are the passes pretty high, 70deg and higher.  Also, I never hear anyone until it reaches midpoint and is going away.

Could be: inexperience, too many elements(?), too few west coast ops during the work week.  I also don't have a problem building the John Portune W6NBC antenna listed on the work-sat website if needed.

Thanks in advance

Bill - NF6R

David Spoelstra

Bill-
Which satellite are you trying to listen to, or is it all of them? Some are easier than others. Some are only on for half the pass.
-David, N9KT

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 12:13 PM Bill NF6R CA <nf6r.bill@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Switzer

Believe it or not, lower passes, say 40 degrees and to a clear spot in the sky at your location, can be easier than more overhead passes. The doppler is a little less pronounced

and the satellites relative movement is slightly "slower", although you have a shorter window to play with.

Working with 2 radios, and handheld manual antennas is never "easy" but experience does make it "easier".

Have Fun!

Rob KA2CZU

Randal Rutkowski

I find it frustrating to just give a call sign and location.  Just bagging a contact is not as much fun for me as talking to someone a few states away.  I guess there are times like that.  Times when you can say you are in Mayberry RFD rather than a grid location😎
I find low passes work best for me but a short window.
Randy
Rutkowski
KM6RBG

On Aug 26, 2021, at 7:43 AM, Robert Switzer <robert_switzer@...> wrote:

Believe it or not, lower passes, say 40 degrees and to a clear spot in the sky at your location, can be easier than more overhead passes. The doppler is a little less pronounced

and the satellites relative movement is slightly "slower", although you have a shorter window to play with.

Working with 2 radios, and handheld manual antennas is never "easy" but experience does make it "easier".

Have Fun!

Rob KA2CZU

Siegfried Jackstien

yes ... only a call and locator is similar to "contest 5 by nine the next one please" ... not a real signal report (all give 5 by nine) so that report is useless

i love to be in footprint of qo100 ... no more messing around with directional antennas and doppler shift .. set your sat dish and forget

and work the world (ok half the world) in 24h 7 days a week ... not just locater and 5 by nine but a longer time for a chat .. exchange details of used setup .. chat about weather or other things ... just do smalltalk like on an 80m evening chat round ... but from brazil to thailand .. from island to antarctica (and all in between)

lets hope that we someday get a similar sat that covers also usa

hey mr bezos .. instead of bringing tourists in the sky bring a geostationary communication sat in the air between europe and america :-)

(sorry i could not resist for that comment)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 26.08.2021 um 17:48 schrieb Randal Rutkowski:

[...]

Yea that sounds great.  Especially since we don’t use plain language. ( I am an advocate of loud and clear, weak, strong etc )
Randy
KM6RBG

On Aug 26, 2021, at 9:14 AM, Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks all, that work "thing" keeps getting in the way of good "stuff", even when you like your job.  ;)

I've only tried listening to the FM birds:  SO-50, AO-27, AO-91?, PO-101.  I haven't thrown out a call yet, as I'm not confident I'll hear a response.

I've tried multiple angles, 15 degrees and higher.

I'll play around some more.

Thanks,

Bill - NF6R

Max Becker

Just returned from Asia after a few years. Their protocol is a little different on the sats. No grid, just call, signal report (59), and country or province, maybe city.

David Spoelstra

Bill-
If it's during the day and you are not hearing anything on those birds, then I'd say you probably have something wrong with your equipment. Those particular birds are always busy.
-David, N9KT