Topics

Newb was I heard?

Randon Loeb

Hi,

Sat newb here, hoping to get my first contact. Just now I was able to hear SO-50, in a break I threw my call out. But I don't have ht ability to tx/rx simultaneously, so I lost my "lock" on the satellite (using a hand-held homebrew tape-measure yagi) while I transmitted, so not sure if anyone came back to me as it took me a second or two to move my arm around around and find the sat again. Would be nice to know if anyone heard me? Is there a site that logs calls heard, etc. or is it pretty much just reaching out to whatever calls are heard on the sat that day via qrz etc?
Thanks,
Randy KN4YRM

Fred Hillhouse

I use Heavens Above Pro and use it to guide my antenna pointing. Very useful.

Did you have a tone set for SO-50? It requires one.

May use a voice recorder so they can go back and review the pass. Keeping a log of the contact, controlling the frequencies, maintaining direction of the antenna keeps a person busy. Shed the logging to a recorder may help. Most smartphones can record audio.

Fred N7FMH

Sat newb here, hoping to get my first contact. Just now I was able to hear SO-50, in a break I threw my call out. But I don't have ht ability to tx/rx simultaneously, so I lost my "lock" on the satellite (using a hand-held homebrew tape-measure yagi) while I transmitted, so not sure if anyone came back to me as it took me a second or two to move my arm around around and find the sat again. Would be nice to know if anyone heard me? Is there a site that logs calls heard, etc. or is it pretty much just reaching out to whatever calls are heard on the sat that day via qrz etc?
Thanks,
Randy KN4YRM

Avast logo

Charlie

Randy:

I missed that pass of SO-50, but would be happy to listen for you in the future and/or schedule a call on one of the FM satellites. I'm located in CT, and if you're in Florida it might be a stretch, but a decent pass over the ocean could allow us to make a contact. I've worked Cuba & Puerto Rico in the past. I currently have a compromised antenna system (Automatic rotator failure), but I'm willing to have a go at it. My contact info on QRZ is valid if you want to email direct.

73
Charlie, K1ECU

Randon Loeb

The next day I was able to make 2 contacts on ao91 so I think I generally got the idea. SO-50 no luck yet but seems "crowded" when I try so maybe it's just a matter of persistence and going for the less crowded eastern passes (I'm in FL).

Thanks for the tip on the voice recorder!

73 Randy KN4YRM

Randon Loeb

I may have to take you up on that if I don't see any luck with SO-50.
The day after I posted I was able to get 2 on ao-91 though, one in Panama. The other was a guy in FL which is funny because we have statewide repeater network anyways, but still fun.
It does seem to me that the eastward over ocean passes are less "crowded", everything west of me seems crowded and I guess that makes sense.
I figure if after 5 more SO-50 passes I don't make a contact I will investigate further.

73 Randy KN4YRM