Topics

New to Satellites? WHICH RADIO???

Clint Bradford

Although it is preferable to work the FM sats in full-duplex mode (where you can hear the downlink as you key your mic), only one currently-manufactured HT does that well in our VHF/UHF mode - the Kenwood TH-D72a. Neither the Alinco DJ-G7T nor any of the recent crop of “dual-receive” imported radios work well in both V/U and U/V modes for FM voice satellite work. That Kenwood TH-D72a is unique!

If you desire to work true, full-duplex, you can also use a second radio in your setup. Or a scanner. Working in full-duplex mode can really make the difference between success and accidentally “stepping” on other operators.

You’ll sometimes see see me using a Kenwood TH-F6a with its all-mode receiver to monitor SSB birds. Or my Yaesu FT-817ND.

But in hundreds of contacts and scores of demos and presentations in front of live audiences the past few years, I have been using the Yaesu FT-60R successfully. It is not a full-duplex HT. BUT you can program “split frequencies” in one memory: You can program 440 receive and 2M transmit (or vice versa) in a single memory location. Programming charts for the FM sats are on my Home Page and Shack Aids pages.

How do you avoid stepping on others with a non-full-duplex setup? About the same as everyday terrestrial repreater operations: Wait for a break in the action, THEN key the mic and announce yourself.

I own too many HTs. (There ... I said it. First step in the “HT addiction” recovery process ... ) Most retail for more than the FT-60R. But the FT-60R is a GREAT value for anyone looking for a solid 2M/440 handheld. The FT-60R debuted at Dayton in 2004. It was a great bargain then - and remains so today. Among its features...

  1. -1,000 memories
  2. -receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig
  3. -large, legible display
  4. -easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet here)
  5. -bulletproof case design*
  6. -strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market
  7. -great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25 AA case with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have full TX power available!

Side note on batteries: I have been using Maha’s 2700mAH NiMH AA cells in a pair of FBA-25 cases - with one of Maha’s intelligent AA cell chargers. A great combination. Properly maintained, I should achieve about 700-1000 complete discharge-charge cycles from them. I am amused at the proclamation by Sanyo that their eneloop AA NiMH cells can be charged “1500” times - which is contrary to most scientific literature regarding the capabilities of consumer-grade NiMH cells. (A little discrepancy between the scientific community and marketing people, I guess ... )

There are some long-discontinued full-duplex HTs that many are using for the sats, like (not an all-inclusive list) the Icom IC-W2a and IC-W32a, Kenwood TH-D7 and TH-D79, and Yaesu’s FT-470/FT-51/FT-530 models. There may be others ... but I’d hate to see you spend a bunch of money on really old units with no warranties and fewer repair options and decreasing availability of battery packs!

Clint

*OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my audiences have seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations to show that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though. Send email or call (909) 999-SATS with any questions!

Jer W

Clint,
I have the Kenwood TH-D72A and love it. Not worried about the cost brand new
because I wanted the quality.

Jerry

On Friday, June 29, 2018 10:35 AM, Clint Bradford <clintbradford@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Turner

Use your ‘74 for receive, and grab one of these for TX -

I have found one dealer who sells the latest version of the Baofeng ‘5R -

Amazon - http://a.co/6D5WZ8h

With antenna improvements, it is working the FM voice birds fine.

US warranty ... this is a merchant who cares and is honest. And this is NOT one of the still-available earlier versions of this rig plagued with many technical problems.

Clint

——————
So here's a question

I have been using the Kenwood TH74 it hasn't been a big problem not having full duplex.

It's possible I could have stepped on other stations like what can happen on HF so is it worth buying the TH 72?

I am worried I might end up with the highly contiguous Clint to many HT addiction.
--
Ian
KM4CQG