Topics

New member and a couple questions

K9DWI

I am new to the group and very interested in making my first QSO via Satellite radio.  I am in the Kansas City MO area and enjoy local simplex/repeaters, HF, and digital.  Anyways, I have two handhelds (Anytone 868 and Yaesu FT60) dedicated at the moment for satellite use and just picked up an Arrow Antenna  (146/437-10 LEO Satellite Antenna).  I have yet to make a contact and just a few minutes ago I managed to hear SO-50, but in all the excitement I forgot to adjust for the doppler shift.  It was busy and waited for a break to call, but that didn't happen.

I tried the ISS earlier this morning, but never heard anything.  Will I hear anything if the astronauts are not on the radio?

I attached a screenshot and I believe I have a good concept of the AOS, TCO, and LOS.  I did have a question on elevation according to this attachment.  If the satellite was directly overhead (center of screen) it would be at 90 degrees?  I added green numbers which I believe would relate to degrees in elevation.  Am I on the right track?

What is Mean Anomaly?

Thanks so much...

Joe - k9dwi
k9dwi@...

Clint Bradford

WELCOME to this exciting aspect of our hobby. YOU ARE SO CLOSE to

success!!!

>> … Anytone 868 and Yaesu FT60 …

I think the FT-60’s receiver is a little more sensitive … BUT - You are

using an antenna system with a lot of gain! Working ’50, ’91, and ’92

will be easy!

>> … Arrow Antenna …

WITH or WITHOUT the diplexer?

>> … SO-50, but in all the excitement I forgot to adjust for the doppler shift.

No biggie … just tune a little ABOVE to start the pass … then to the transmitted

frequency … then slightly BELOW as it descends …

SO-50’s 2M Uplink - NO Doppler correction.

>> …I tried the ISS earlier this morning, but never heard anything.

Nope. Not FM voice … but Packet is up!

>> … What is Mean Anomaly?

Huh - you SHOUDL know that. It is Question 1,234.789(c) in any exam …

(GRIN)

It represents the fraction of an elliptical orbit's period that has elapsed since the orbiting body passed periapsis …

You DON’T need to know this … seriously!

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford

Do NOT use that program's frequencies ... stick with the proven chart on the
front page at work-sat.com ...

Clint K6LCS