Topics

M2 LEO pack circular polarized antennas versus vertically polarized antennas

Don Solberg

I just set up a satellite base station with a Cushcraft dual band antenna on the top of my tower, at 82 feet.  I live in a pine forest so this is the only way that I could get a view of the sky.  To compensate for UHF coax loss I am using an SSB mast mounted preamp. I installed a diplexer as a 2M desense filter but even with that I am experiencing desense on the 70 CM downlink so I can't hear my uplink transmission.

I am going to mount the antennas on a fiberglass cross boam and was wondering if there would be a significant improvement if I went with the M2 LEO pack circular polarization antennas or stayed with two vertically polarized antennas.

Does anyone have any experience with the M2 LEO pack?

73,

Don K9AQ

Mark L. Hammond

Hi Don,

The M2 LEO pack is a great antenna pair.   It has exceeded my expectations, given how fairly short they are!!   I can easily recommend.   Not sure if that will solve the desense.  Sometimes it's a connector, other times its the radio itself, antenna proximity of course, etc.  I've gone so far as to get a "good" passband filter for 2M.  HRO sells them...very heavy block thing, can get with N-connectors.  It helps, can go in shack.

73,

Mark N8MH

"
Does anyone have any experience with the M2 LEO pack?

73,

Don K9AQ"

Don Solberg

Thanks Mark,

I just bought a 9700 and it has a lot less problem with desense than my SDR Play had.  I have a duplexer installed as a desense filter in front of the 70CM preamp.
I have talked to several other hams on the birds with the LEO Pack antennas.  I will be buying one.

73,

Don K9AQ

Lou Harken

I had to put mine on separate mounts but they work great and take up little room.  No issues at all

Lou W0TQ