Topics

Kenwood TH-D72 Questions

Brad Smith

Clint:

I am confused about using full duplex on my new TH-D72 and would appreciate help from anyone using this radio. I use RT Systems Programming to program.

Clint stated the following:

Use VFO B for TX
VFO A for RX
Balanced audio all the way to VFO A
Open squelch for VFO A
5W transmit

Do I also have to turn on the Mask for band A?

With this set-up, I should be able to work AO-91 and 92.  If I want to work SO-50, do I have to reverse all of this? I know that I can switch the bands, B to A and A to B, but then the squelch and balanced audio would seem to be wrong. But it seems like I have to switch them or I am not in full duplex.  Perhaps it is not really practical to work SO-50 with this radio, if I also work AO-92. Or just work SO-50 in half duplex, leaving the bands as they are and just just shifting up to A.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brad Smith
KC9UQR

Clint Bradford

Band A has a more sensitive receiver.

And by adjusting VOLume all the way to Band A,
you have effectively “shut off” Band B from receive
audio.

Accommodate for Doppler just on the 440 side of
the satellites ...

Clint, then for SO-50, I will be working in half duplex, which is ok. What about turning on the Mask for Band A, to hide 440 frequencies?

Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 3/11/2019 4:19:21 PM Central Standard Time, clintbradford@... writes:

Band A has a more sensitive receiver.

And by adjusting VOLume all the way to Band A,
you have effectively “shut off” Band B from receive
audio.

Accommodate for Doppler just on the 440 side of
the satellites ...

Clint

Fred Hillhouse

Duplex allows for hearing RX on A, while TXing on B. You will hear the downlink (you) if you use headphones. Or so I am told.

Clint, then for SO-50, I will be working in half duplex, which is ok. What about turning on the Mask for Band A, to hide 440 frequencies?

Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 3/11/2019 4:19:21 PM Central Standard Time, clintbradford@... writes:

Band A has a more sensitive receiver.

And by adjusting VOLume all the way to Band A,
you have effectively “shut off” Band B from receive
audio.

Accommodate for Doppler just on the 440 side of
the satellites ...

Yes, this is true. It is very important when I work FO-29 with my 847. But I haven't got it to work yet with the D72 handheld.

Brad KC9UQR

Fred Hillhouse

Make sure VFO B is active for DUP to work.