ISS SSTV Projects

Clint Bradford

Possible SSTV projects from the ISS coming - receiving their wonderful images can be VERY simple! Check out ...

https://www.work-sat.com/sstv.html

... for more information!

Clint Bradford

Possible SSTV activity from the ISS - 145.800, historically PD 120 mode.

09-30-2020,  13:05 UTC to 18:45 UTC

10-01-2020,  12:30 UTC to 17:40 UTC

10-4-2020, 09:30 UTC through 10-8-2020  09:15 UTC

Clint Bradford

From RF2Space -

MAI #SSTV experiment to operate on

Sep 30 from 13:05 to 18:45 UTC and on

Oct. 1 from 12:30 to 17:45 UTC on 145.800.

Check your pass times!

#ISSrepeater will remain active during this time on 437.800

Stefan Wagener

Now the $5 question:

Is it coming from the Russian module (like in the past) or is it with the new Kenwood radio from the Columbus module?

Stefan

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
From RF2Space -

MAI #SSTV experiment to operate on

Sep 30 from 13:05 to 18:45 UTC and on

Oct. 1 from 12:30 to 17:45 UTC on 145.800.

Check your pass times!

#ISSrepeater will remain active during this time on 437.800

Clint Bradford

SSTV images being received in Europe ...

Clint Bradford

POSSIBLE ISS SSTV>> 10-4-2020, 09:30 UTC through 10-8-2020  09:15 UTC

Working on verifying this project ...

KC9REN

I would be so happy if the ISS crew would send some SSTV images over North America again. My wife Darlene KC9SBN and I enjoy receiving the images even though the neighbors are probably thinking, what are those people doing out there pointing those antennas at the sky. :) Clint Bradford, Very nice info on the URL you shared.

Clint Bradford

They will! A couple passes of this last project went over the East Coast of the US.

But keep watching for possible future projects! Get your gear ready!

Just as an FYI, here is the ham gear on board the ISS ...

​Columbus Module radios:
  • IORS - Cross band repeater activate. System supporting USOS school events.
  • Ericsson VHF-  Stowed. To be scheduled for component return and/or disposal.
  • Ericsson UHF- Stowed. To be scheduled for component return and/or disposal.
  • MarconISSta - Stowed.
Service Module radios:
  • Kenwood D700, station #1 (delivered in 2003) - Stowed.
  • Kenwood D700, station #2 (delivered in 2008) -Stowed.
  • Kenwood D710E (delivered in 2014 for MAI-SSTV) – Supporting Russian scheduled voice contacts.

James Ricker

Are the SSTV pictures sent in FM, LSB or USB?

Thanks

David Spoelstra

FM

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 2:14 PM James Ricker via groups.io <jim7j6cef=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Are the SSTV pictures sent in FM, LSB or USB?

Thanks

Randal Rutkowski

Just got a poor photo on a lot w pass here at CM95.

On Sep 28, 2020, at 9:27 AM, Stefan Wagener <wageners@...> wrote:

Now the $5 question:

Is it coming from the Russian module (like in the past) or is it with the new Kenwood radio from the Columbus module?

Stefan

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
From RF2Space -

MAI #SSTV experiment to operate on

Sep 30 from 13:05 to 18:45 UTC and on

Oct. 1 from 12:30 to 17:45 UTC on 145.800.

Check your pass times!

#ISSrepeater will remain active during this time on 437.800

Clint Bradford

Simple FM. And since 2m - no Doppler accommodation really necessary.

https://www.work-sat.com/sstv.html

Clint Bradford

Merkouris SV2HWM

@SV2HWM
·

2020-10-04 #ISS Expedition 63 – ARISS Series 16 "Satellites" #SSTV activity.

The 2 min gap between images has been reset but the modulation was significantly lower during the recent pass over Europe.

Clint Bradford

No “signal degradation” from ISS on SSTV images just now in So CA 2215 UTC.

Gordon West <swmeow@...>

Well - the true engineers are right!!! (G)

- Clint

GORDON WEST>> Clint, yes on Doppler corrections, when RECEIVING the SSTV. I finally found this out by listening to two SSTV signals, and found the ISS signal higher as it was heading toward us, and lower when it went away.

Normal!

My MMSSTV app did not correct for this skew on pix, and when I adjusted my TAPE (!) RECORDER speed playback, we got a nice lock, but I had to track it manually!

I'll say, my new favorite combination to just use SDRTouch on my Android phone with Robot36 decoding the audio live. I have SDRTouch saving the complete baseband signal so I can go back, correct for Doppler shift, improve filtering, fix skew, but really, with just the straight live decode and no Doppler correction, I'm quite pleased with the results. I've attached a screenshot of my Android phone setup and the image I decoded live. I used the speaker on my phone to feedback into the mic so Robot36 would be decoding during capture. I used the Arrow II Leo Satellite Yagi for my antenna with the RTL blog SDR attached to my phone with an on-the-go USB cable. Very easy and portable.

73s,
Loren
K7IW

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Loren,

Let’s see if I understand your setup.

1.       It looks like you are running dual-screen with Robot36 on top and SDRTouch on the bottom.

2.       You made a cable to connect speaker out to mic-in or you just let the audio feedback into the mic.

This is the first I’ve heard of SDRTouch. I have downloaded the DEMO. I have not purchased the key yet so I am curious if direct frequency entry is possible.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH