Topics

ISS SSTV Projects?

Clint Bradford

ISS Ham @RF2Space Tweeted: 

Hearing that a couple of #SSTV activations from #ISS may be occurring in the upcoming weeks. #hamradio. Watch for announcements.

Info for how to easily “work” it - 

http://www.work-sat.com/SSTV.html

Clint Bradford

Inter-MAI activation scheduled for Jan 30 - Feb 1

Received information that the Moscow Aviation Institute will be conducting their SSTV experiment from January 30 - February 1. It appears from the scheduling that the experiment will only be active during a couple of orbits that overfly Moscow instead of a continuous operation. Rough time periods of activation appear to fall between the hours of 13:00 - 19:00 UTC. Activity should occur on the traditional 145.800 MHz downlink.

-ARISS Blogspot site

Clint Bradford

Curt Gidding

Clint,

I have a Icom 2100, Signal-Link, Elk Antenna.   How can I get SSTV images from ARISS?   Is that All I need?  What SSTV software?

Curt  KC9UL

-----Original Message-----
To: Work-Sat <Work-Sat@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jan 30, 2019 2:28 pm
Subject: Re: [Work-Sat] ISS SSTV Projects?

Clint Bradford

for how to easily “work” it - 

http://www.work-sat.com/SSTV.html

BUT I am not seeing any US hams reporting reception ...

Siegfried Jackstien

for receiving the sstv images you need "mmsstv" ... plus a receiver and antenna ... so yes you already have what is needed

connect the receiver (or transmitter) to the soundcards in (in your case it is the signalink that is found in windows as a new soundcard)

fire up mmsstv ...

select the signalink as the in and output soundcard in mmsstv

thats it

(txing sstv signals with the same setup should be an easy task after rx does work)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 31.01.2019 um 00:59 schrieb Curt Gidding via Groups.Io:

Clint,

I have a Icom 2100, Signal-Link, Elk Antenna.   How can I get SSTV images from ARISS?   Is that All I need?  What SSTV software?

Curt  KC9UL

Fred Hillhouse

I used a D72 with a Diamond 17” antenna and fed the audio to my smartphone running Robot36. I held my phone next to my radio during the pass.

My picture quality was poor which I attribute to poor reception. I have a Yagi mid-build that should give me better results.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Curt Gidding via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:00 PM
To: Work-Sat@groups.io

Clint,

Curt  KC9UL

Images being received ...

http://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/2019/01/inter-mai-75-jan-image-examples-from.html

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Fred Hillhouse

I just ran through the operation window and didn’t find any passes that cover the US east coast. L

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Fred Hillhouse

I used a D72 with a Diamond 17” antenna and fed the audio to my smartphone running Robot36. I held my phone next to my radio during the pass.

My picture quality was poor which I attribute to poor reception. I have a Yagi mid-build that should give me better results.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Curt Gidding via Groups.Io

Clint,

Curt  KC9UL

Robert Putala

Is there a schedule of when SSTV will be transmitted?  I attempted to receive the SSTV a few minutes ago and heard what sounded more like telemetry.  Are there any audio examples available to listen to for future signal ID?  This newbee appreciates the information!

Rob
KE8UW

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 5:01 AM Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

for receiving the sstv images you need "mmsstv" ... plus a receiver and antenna ... so yes you already have what is needed

connect the receiver (or transmitter) to the soundcards in (in your case it is the signalink that is found in windows as a new soundcard)

fire up mmsstv ...

select the signalink as the in and output soundcard in mmsstv

thats it

(txing sstv signals with the same setup should be an easy task after rx does work)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 31.01.2019 um 00:59 schrieb Curt Gidding via Groups.Io:
Clint,

Curt  KC9UL

http://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/2019/01/inter-mai-75-jan-image-examples-from.html

--
Rob
"Could be worse, could be raining"
(Young Frankenstien)

Clint Bradford

Watch ARISS.org for possible projects!

Fred Hillhouse

http://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/2019/01/inter-mai-activation-scheduled-for-jan.html

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Putala

Is there a schedule of when SSTV will be transmitted?  I attempted to receive the SSTV a few minutes ago and heard what sounded more like telemetry.  Are there any audio examples available to listen to for future signal ID?  This newbee appreciates the information!

Rob

KE8UW

Brad Smith

Just had a 68 degree pass and heard nothing at all. Why even bother if they are only transmitting over Moscow? that was my second pass today, with the same poor results.

KC9UQR

In a message dated 1/30/2019 2:28:42 PM Central Standard Time, clintbradford@... writes:

Fred Hillhouse

Was it between the hours of:

Daily schedule.
Jan 30 - 13:30 UTC - setup and activation
Jan 30 - 18:30 UTC - shutdown

Jan 31 - 13:20 UTC - activation
Jan 31 - 17:40 UTC - shutdown

Feb 1 - 13:45 UTC - activation
Feb 1 - 16:45 UTC - shutdown and stow

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brad Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:54 PM

Just had a 68 degree pass and heard nothing at all. Why even bother if they are only transmitting over Moscow? that was my second pass today, with the same poor results.

KC9UQR

In a message dated 1/30/2019 2:28:42 PM Central Standard Time, clintbradford@... writes:

Brad Smith

No, it was outside of the hours. I was hoping.

KC9UQR

In a message dated 1/31/2019 4:17:02 PM Central Standard Time, fmhillhouse@... writes:

Was it between the hours of:

Daily schedule.
Jan 30 - 13:30 UTC - setup and activation
Jan 30 - 18:30 UTC - shutdown

Jan 31 - 13:20 UTC - activation
Jan 31 - 17:40 UTC - shutdown

Feb 1 - 13:45 UTC - activation
Feb 1 - 16:45 UTC - shutdown and stow

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brad Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:54 PM

KC9UQR

Brad Smith

The Yagi will definitely give you better results.

KC9UQR

In a message dated 1/31/2019 2:36:17 PM Central Standard Time, fmhillhouse@... writes:

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:00 PM

Clint,

Curt  KC9UL

Clint Bradford

This Russian project was just for passes over Russia. We were "hoping" the Cosmonauts 
may "accidentally" leave the radio ON ... (grin)

We'll have more SSTV projects this year - be programmed and ready to go!

Robert Switzer

I'd really like to see some USA directed SSTV + images

Clint Bradford

There will be some this year!!! Be ready!

Clint

Floyd Bixler

From Germany I heard their SSTV during 2 passes.  Unfortunately, I either caught the tail end of one picture or just the header of another..

Floyd/DA1VF/WD8DUP

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 06:02

This Russian project was just for passes over Russia. We were "hoping" the Cosmonauts 
may "accidentally" leave the radio ON ... (grin)

We'll have more SSTV projects this year - be programmed and ready to go!