Topics

ISS SSTV Project coming August 4-5, 2020

Clint Bradford

MAI-75 SSTV activity planned for Aug 4 and 5, 2020
Jul 27th 2020, 15:33, by ARISS
From https://www.blogger.com/profile/12256320461838369494

The final crew schedule for the week of Aug 3-9 was released recently
and it showed a MAI-75 activity scheduled for Aug 4 and 5. This is soon
after the Space X Demo-2 undock so changes to that event could impact
the schedule.

The current dates and times of the activity are as follows:

Aug 4 (12:25-18:10 UTC) is setup and day 1 operations.
Aug 5 (11:15-18:45 UTC) is day 2 operations and close out.

This is the Moscow Aviation Institute SSTV experiment that
is activate for orbital passes over Moscow, Russia. It has
traditionally been PD-180 or PD-120 and transmitting on
145.800 MHz.

/end/

From  K6LCS -

Receiving beautiful images from the ISS when they run SSTV projects can be as simple as holding your HT up to your Smartphone equipped with a $3 app ...

And from M5AKA - ESA Education has released tutorial videos explaining how to make use of various computers and mobile devices to receive the International Space Station SSTV transmissions on 145.800 MHz FM that are expected for the 45th anniversary of the Apollo-Soyuz mission.

Apollo–Soyuz was the first international space mission, carried out jointly by the United States and the Soviet Union in mid-July 1975 and ESA Education say the anniversary will be marked by SSTV transmissions from the ISS.

See the collection of Tutorials videos on how to receive SSTV pictures from the International Space Station for specific operating systems such as Windows 10, Apple iOS & Mac OSX, Android, Raspberry Pi, etc at ...

Wiki Apollo-Soyuz -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo–Soyuz

Read the Raspberry Pi article Pictures from space via ham radio ...

ISS SSTV info and links -  https://amsat-uk.org/beginners/iss-sstv/

Free UK amateur radio online training course - https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

Clint K6LCS
AMSAT-NA Ambassador

N0BML

I know there are web based SDR receivers setup but I'm having trouble finding one that covers the 2M band in, or near, Moscow. Does anyone else know of any that we could use to capture the images?

Clint Bradford

Could you keep it simple and just record from a 2m HT - either with a Smartphone voice record app or a recorder - then do the decoding later in the house?

N0BML

If there is a pass overhead I have my HT connected to my iPad running SSTV software and I can decode on the "fly." (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Passes like this where they only activate when it is over Moscow rarely are overhead at my QTH. I've been able to decode images via WebSDR and it isn't difficult. I could help if anyone else is interested in it but I'm a pretty heavy Ubuntu user so I'm not up to speed on making it work in Windows or Mac OS.

Clint Bradford

This August 4-5 project is for YOU ... few US passes ... We are just hoping they leave the equipment ON a little longer on Wednesday for a West Coast of the US pass ... (g)

Randal Rutkowski

Yes!  Should we plan a US pass west coast?  Maybe what’s his name could ask Putin?😎

On Jul 27, 2020, at 9:25 PM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

This August 4-5 project is for YOU ... few US passes ... We are just hoping they leave the equipment ON a little longer on Wednesday for a West Coast of the US pass ... (g)

Clint Bradford

Several years ago, a conference organizer for a large West Coast HamFest contacted me.

"Clint, our keynote speaker beings at 7:30PM Saturday. Could you arrange a pass of the ISS right afterwards?"

WOW - I was humbled: He actually thought I had any power at all to pull something like that off.

But it took me several minutes to recover before I called him back ... (g)

Randy Schulze

Did you tell them if you did that, you could be arrested for breaking the laws of physics?  ;-)

---

Randy Schulze
KDØHKD
Kansas City, Missouri

On 2020-07-27 23:58, Clint Bradford via groups.io wrote:

Several years ago, a conference organizer for a large West Coast HamFest contacted me.

"Clint, our keynote speaker beings at 7:30PM Saturday. Could you arrange a pass of the ISS right afterwards?"

WOW - I was humbled: He actually thought I had any power at all to pull something like that off.

But it took me several minutes to recover before I called him back ... (g)

Clint Bradford

Credits: ARISS

*Update Aug. 3**

Looks like they made an adjustment to the schedule for Aug 5.

Aug 4 (12:25-18:10 UTC) is setup and day 1.
Aug 5 (08:15-18:25) is day 2 and close out of operations.

Amir K9CHP

This is by far not the best ISS Pic download I have gotten. But it sure is an interesting one. I was running Robo36 on my cell phone, and at the same time running ISS detector (to follow the pass) and listening via WEBSDR to a receiver in Southern Asiatic Russia in Chelyabinsk! Now I tried first via an SDR receiver in Moscow, but the signal was faint, barely audible and not really decodable, but the second try with the more remote receiver was a success, possibly due to the pass being lower towards Chelyabinsk, thus better received on a 2m vertical antenna.

--

73 de Amir K9CHP

ARRL, Emergency Coordinator (EC)
Radio Amateurs of Greater Syracuse  www.ragsclub.org
Wilderness SAR (ret.) www.wsar.org
Eagle Valley Search Dogs (ret.) www.evdogs.org

From https://www.blogger.com/profile/12256320461838369494

[...]

Very Cool!  Will there be any transmissions made over the Western US on in the next few days?
Thanks
Randy
KM6RBG

From https://www.blogger.com/profile/12256320461838369494

[...]

Not as far as I know. Their work schedule is for passes over Russia and counties in the footprint, thus why I used SDRweb...

--

From https://www.blogger.com/profile/12256320461838369494

[...]

Brad Smith

Nothing heard on the 18:57 UTC pass from Wisconsin.

Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

Andrew Stephens

Too bad it’s only over Europe and maybe a tiny bit of the east coast.

When the Russians perform SSTV from the ISS, they only activate it when the ISS is over Russia, otherwise it's shutdown. They don’t continually operate over the entire time period, hence the break between 8/4 and 8/5.

David Spoelstra

From the pass over Indianapolis today:

image.png

-David, N9KT

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM N0BML <n0bml@...> wrote:

If there is a pass overhead I have my HT connected to my iPad running SSTV software and I can decode on the "fly." (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Passes like this where they only activate when it is over Moscow rarely are overhead at my QTH. I've been able to decode images via WebSDR and it isn't difficult. I could help if anyone else is interested in it but I'm a pretty heavy Ubuntu user so I'm not up to speed on making it work in Windows or Mac OS.

Julio

What are you using for a physical connection between the HT and iPad?

Thank you,
Julio
W2SGT

From the pass over Indianapolis today:

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 08:04 PM, Julio wrote:

What are you using for a physical connection between the HT and iPad?

Just an audio cable from the output of the radio to the headset input on the iPad. Before then I just held the radio close to the iPad and hoped for the best.

Oh, add a splitter to the cable so you can still plug in headphones to hear the signal on the pass. It helps a lot to keep the HT oriented so I get the best signal.

AF7ZA

Thanks David. For Mac OS I use Black Cat SSTV. There is a free Demo. I bought the App. Website says it works for Windows too. $20.00.

Bill AF7ZA

On Aug 5, 2020, at 2:16 51PM, David Spoelstra <davids@...> wrote:

From the pass over Indianapolis today:

<image.png>

-David, N9KT

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM N0BML <n0bml@...> wrote:

If there is a pass overhead I have my HT connected to my iPad running SSTV software and I can decode on the "fly." (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Passes like this where they only activate when it is over Moscow rarely are overhead at my QTH. I've been able to decode images via WebSDR and it isn't difficult. I could help if anyone else is interested in it but I'm a pretty heavy Ubuntu user so I'm not up to speed on making it work in Windows or Mac OS.

Clint Bradford

BlackCat SSTV is only $3 for iOS ...

https://www.work-sat.com/sstv.html

AF7ZA

Thanks for that Info. Clint. I didn’t know that since I don’t own a smart phone, but I do have DSL. 😀