Topics

ISS SSTV - Let’s Do It Again!

Clint Bradford

Bonu opportunity Feb 15-17

The ARISS team expects that a second SSTV transmission event will occur from ISS this weekend.

ARISS Russia team member Sergey Samburov, RV3DR, worked with the mission control center flight controllers to schedule in ISS crew member time to configure the JVC Kenwood radio to support SSTV operations in the Service Module.  SSTV setup is expected to start around 8:45 UTC on February 15 and conclude around 17:25 UTC on February 17.  These dates/times are expectations and may vary.

The ARISS team wanted to give the community another opportunity to downlink the SSTV images we developed for you given the weak signal situation that occurred last weekend.  For clarity, these will be the same 12 images that were downlinked last weekend.

As a reminder, you can get the latest SSTV information on the ARISS SSTV Blog Spot:  http://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/  Once received, Images can be posted and viewed by the public at http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_SSTV/index.php  And you can receive a special SSTV ARISS Award for posting your image. See https://ariss.pzk.org.pl/sstv/.  For simplicity, we have added a new tab for SSTV, under general contacts, on the ARISS web site www.ariss.org

For those that are asking, we are still not totally clear what caused the issue last weekend.  We believe it may have been either a loose feedline cable or an antenna switch that did not fully engage. Once the crew reset the system and checked the cabling and switches, the radio system started to perform nominally.

Enjoy!!

73,  Frank, KA3HDO

Clint Bradford

As far as image submissions and awards, I will find out if this “extension” is a “unique” project. They are the same images as we enjoyed last weekend.

Clint Bradford

ARISS advises this is an “extension” of the same project, so if you have already submitted images and your application for an award, no “different” award is available.

STILL some fun, though!!!

Robert Switzer

Real strong signal around noon EDT today. Only an 11 degree pass and I pulled 1 and 1/2 images using a TH-D72A and an AL-800 whip antenna, audio recorded to my cell then played back and decoded using virtual audio cable to MMSSTV. I have a cleaner recording (I think less rumble from wind noise) on a zoom recorder I'll try later. Didn't have my cables to record direct.

Clint Bradford

Great job!

Jer W

Hi Robert,
I also have the TH-D72A. Do you happen to know if the program is downloadable on the Aplle desk top?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Friday, February 15, 2019, 1:34:48 PM EST, Robert Switzer <robert_switzer@...> wrote:

Real strong signal around noon EDT today. Only an 11 degree pass and I pulled 1 and 1/2 images using a TH-D72A and an AL-800 whip antenna, audio recorded to my cell then played back and decoded using virtual audio cable to MMSSTV. I have a cleaner recording (I think less rumble from wind noise) on a zoom recorder I'll try later. Didn't have my cables to record direct.

Brad Smith

Hi Jerry:

I use my TH-D72 and a direct cable to my iPhone when working satellite, with an Arrow as an antenna. While it is a cold winter in Wisconsin, I didn’t use that this time, but will when the weather gets better. Apple uses the CQ SSTV app for decoding. In order to direct link by cable, I use an interface that electric guitar players use. If I can be of help, let me know.

Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

On Feb 15, 2019, at 1:01 PM, Jer W <jplanner@...> wrote:

Hi Robert,
I also have the TH-D72A. Do you happen to know if the program is downloadable on the Aplle desk top?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Friday, February 15, 2019, 1:34:48 PM EST, Robert Switzer <robert_switzer@...> wrote:

Real strong signal around noon EDT today. Only an 11 degree pass and I pulled 1 and 1/2 images using a TH-D72A and an AL-800 whip antenna, audio recorded to my cell then played back and decoded using virtual audio cable to MMSSTV. I have a cleaner recording (I think less rumble from wind noise) on a zoom recorder I'll try later. Didn't have my cables to record direct.

<201902151800_NASA ON THE AIR_1.jpg>
<201902151800_NASA ON THE AIR_1.jpg>

Fred Hillhouse

On February 15, 2019 at 10:12 PM "Brad Smith via Groups.Io" <corlissbs@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry:

I use my TH-D72 and a direct cable to my iPhone when working satellite, with an Arrow as an antenna. While it is a cold winter in Wisconsin, I didn’t use that this time, but will when the weather gets better. Apple uses the CQ SSTV app for decoding. In order to direct link by cable, I use an interface that electric guitar players use. If I can be of help, let me know.

Brad KC9UQR

Hi Brad,

I am curious about your interface. Do you have a link?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Brad Smith

I do and when I get home on Monday I will send you the link. It works great.

Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod