Topics

ISS SSTV - Again?!?! YES!

Clint Bradford

The SSTV images from the ISS are being transmitted AGAIN right now! For the past 24 hours,
stations have reported reception. I just snagged two images at 8:20AM Pacific Time
on a 7-degree elevation pass.

SO ... Try it again today!!!

Clint K6LCS
909-999-SATS

David Spoelstra

Clint, do you know how much longer they plan to send images? I want to try again but the next pass for me is almost 12 hours from now...
-David, N9KT

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 11:58 AM Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The SSTV images from the ISS are being transmitted AGAIN right now! For the past 24 hours,
stations have reported reception. I just snagged two images at 8:20AM Pacific Time
on a 7-degree elevation pass.

SO ... Try it again today!!!

Clint K6LCS
909-999-SATS

Clint Bradford

No idea - this was a pleasant surprise. Watch the AMSAT Live OSCAR page for reception reports! I am at HRO-Anaheim all day ...

Brad Smith

Clint:

I need your expertise. We were traveling today during an 80 degree pass of the ISS, so I hooked my VX7R ht to the 1/4 wave, 2m, whip antenna on the car roof, just for grins, in case a SSTV signal came from them. Using the SSTV app on my phone, I received a beautiful picture while traveling 75 mph. ( My XYL was driving.) If a whip antenna has a donut shaped receive pattern that mirrors the transmit pattern, it should not receive well for near vertices signals, like 80 degrees. Do you have an explanation for this? It was much better than using a 1/4 wave, 2m antenna directly attached to the ht.

Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

On Jul 7, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

No idea - this was a pleasant surprise. Watch the AMSAT Live OSCAR page for reception reports! I am at HRO-Anaheim all day ...

Clint Bradford

It is difficult NOT to receive 20 Watts or so lone of site! (Grin)

Of you tried to work, say, SO-50 and its 1/4 Watt signal, you would not have succeeded.

Now, then, tell us the truth: Was someone else REALLY driving???

Brad Smith

Thanks, Clint. Yes, the XYL was driving. We are on our way for a riverboat cruise

Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod